Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #1

New seat skins from lseats

I just ordered new skins from LSEATS. Called a number of upholstery shops in my area and got quotes ranging from $200/seat to $1000 for both. With that said, I'm going to TRY and tackle this myself. Are there any good "how-to" videos on the installation process? I conducted a limited search but did not find anything Boxster specific.

I have zero upholstery experience. Any help/advise will be much appreciated.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I replaced both OEM leather seat only covers, on a 2009 987S. All of the plastic pieces were extremely brittle. It was at times frustrating and fiddly, but they came out great. Don't rush and know when to walk away. The seat sides roll over the bottom rails and clip into a plastic u channel that has tabs hidden and need to be approach with care. Lots of fabric stretching is involved. There were also small hog rings that rap around a wire that are hard to remove and replace. I also had to deal with seat heaters. I took both seats out and securely mounted them on a wooden bench. Can't imagine trying to do approach this on the garage floor. Best of luck and post some pics when you can.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #3
01 Boxster S

Garage
I would suggest letting someone do it for you. In my case they added to the foam as it was a bit worn and needed to do this to fill in the new material to make the leather look tight. Just my opinion but there is a time when you surrender and let someone else do it. Here is a video of what I did. I love the results. Btw it was $450 for the install
https://youtu.be/ETgclSHpuTM
519AutoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #4

I did mine a couple months ago with zero experience. I watched these videos for how they are disassembled which then it was obvious how they go back together.

https://youtu.be/ynGjh2jOU0A
https://youtu.be/_kJgwUh5PpE

I think mine turned out pretty good and have been told the sun will shrink them some and tighten up the few waves they have. I've alreadh seen some improvement since this pic.
2001 Boxster, 2.7l
sharper410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519AutoTech View Post
I would suggest letting someone do it for you. In my case they added to the foam as it was a bit worn and needed to do this to fill in the new material to make the leather look tight. Just my opinion but there is a time when you surrender and let someone else do it. Here is a video of what I did. I love the results. Btw it was $450 for the install
https://youtu.be/ETgclSHpuTM
I agree, if you can afford to have someone with experience do it, you should upholstery work is very fidly. Can turn out great out look like amateur did it.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:48 PM   #6

flouese,
I sent a private message but just for example this is a Silverado seat I did after work tonight for one of my wife's co-workers. I am not an upholster but if you watch what your doing and take your time its not that hard. The seat base on this seat was replaced after removing the seat, removing the cover, installing the new one and reinstalling the seat. Total time about 2 hours.

sprop1 is offline   Reply With Quote