986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Is auto-temp control good, or a waste of money? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/7984-auto-temp-control-good-waste-money.html)

Spy4cia 10-30-2006 08:24 PM

Is auto-temp control good, or a waste of money?

I will be driving topless MOST of the time...

Thanks.............

MNBoxster 10-30-2006 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spy4cia
I will be driving topless MOST of the time...

Thanks.............

Hi,

Isn't that standard? My Climate Control will maintain whatever temp it's set to if I select AUTO mode. Isn't that what you're talking about? Mine is a Summer, Top Down car only, so I never use it, always have the unit OFF.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

bmussatti 10-31-2006 01:38 AM

I think it's a waste. The manual controls are fine. With top-down driving, the system is almost always turned off, only when I am running the heating. You don't want to run your AC with the top down either.

z12358 10-31-2006 02:52 AM

I don't have it and never felt the need for it.

Jump 10-31-2006 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
I think it's a waste. The manual controls are fine. With top-down driving, the system is almost always turned off, only when I am running the heating. You don't want to run your AC with the top down either.

OK, I'm curious. What harm does running the AC with the top down cause?

djomlas 10-31-2006 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jump

well youre pretty much trying to aircondition the planet :)
and the car is trying to do one more aditional thing at the same time

1JB 10-31-2006 05:20 AM

I have it and it works quite well but I rarely use it as the car is mostly driven with the top down. I may be wrong but I think you also get an improved air filtering sytstem with this option? On those occasions when I have driven with the top up I do like the auto feature and would get it again. One less thing to screw around with and I tend to like to screw around with settings.

jeffsquire 10-31-2006 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jump

Beleive it or not, a lot of people seem to do this with convertibles. At least ;two of the convertible owners I know.

bmussatti 10-31-2006 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsquire

Beleive it or not, a lot of people seem to do this with convertibles. At least ;two of the convertible owners I know.

I have done this with a rental car, but not my own cars.

Travis 10-31-2006 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsquire

I am guilty of doing it, but here in Texas it is a requirement.

With top down and windows up and the AC on it does keep you cool and I have never had/seen or heard of any issues with doing so.

-cheers
:cheers:

MNBoxster 10-31-2006 05:49 AM

HI,

OK, so let me get this straight, Automatic Climate Control is NOT standard, but optional on US Market cars? I always thought it was...

IowaS 10-31-2006 05:51 AM

Take your car to work

The only time I need temp control is on work days in the summer, I dont want to drive to a meeting in 100 deg. heat and sweat. I use it rarely but when needed it is worth it in my opinion.

1JB 10-31-2006 05:53 AM

The Auto Climate option on the '06 in the US means you press one button and set the desired temperature. Everything else from air conditioning to distribution location and fan speed is set by the car. You set the temperature and the car does everything else. If you don't have that or use it you can set the temperature, airconditioning, speed and distribution points yourself and the car maintains that temperature.

Marc Gelefsky 10-31-2006 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
HI,

OK, so let me get this straight, Automatic Climate Control is NOT standard, but optional on US Market cars? I always thought it was...

I dont think I have ever seen a US Boxster without it? anyone?

z12358 10-31-2006 06:17 AM

"If you don't have that or use it you can set the temperature, airconditioning, speed and distribution points yourself and the car maintains that temperature."

Wrong. I don't have auto climate control. Without it you cannot set a temperature to be automatically maintained. You can only choose levels from coldest to warmest, speed, and on/off for various vents -- just like any other bare bones AC system.

Auto-climate does not come standard.

Z.

Marc Gelefsky 10-31-2006 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z12358
"If you don't have that or use it you can set the temperature, air conditioning, speed and distribution points yourself and the car maintains that temperature."

Wrong. I don't have auto climate control. Without it you cannot set a temperature to be automatically maintained. You can only choose levels from coldest to warmest, speed, and on/off for various vents -- just like any other bare bones AC system.

Z.

OK, so is that a 987 thing?
I will now change my statement, I have never seen a US 986 without Climate control, thats not to say it does not exist :)

z12358 10-31-2006 06:23 AM

"You don't want to run your AC with the top down either."

If it's too hot in summer I run the AC with the top down, especially if sitting in slow traffic. You can definitely feel the cold breeze. I understand that it would be stupid to have an auto climate running with a top down but can't see why a standard AC would be a problem - it has no feedback loop that measures the cabin temp.

Z.

MNBoxster 11-01-2006 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1JB
The Auto Climate option on the '06 in the US means you press one button and set the desired temperature. Everything else from air conditioning to distribution location and fan speed is set by the car. You set the temperature and the car does everything else. If you don't have that or use it you can set the temperature, airconditioning, speed and distribution points yourself and the car maintains that temperature.

Hi,

It's always a good day when you learn something new, so I'm having a good day.

The Climate Control in my '99 has distribution, temp, fan speed, AC, defrost switches and also an Auto switch. If I select the temp, and then hit the Auto button, all other functions are controlled by the unit - fan speed, distribution, AC, etc. The car also has an interior 't' stat, a solar 't' stat and it uses these and the ambient temp sensor in front of the left-side radiator to decide how to best maintain the selected temperature. Isn't this what we're talking about?

I didn't think this was an optional system, but I guess I'm wrong...

davezaristo 11-01-2006 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis
I am guilty of doing it, but here in Texas it is a requirement.

With top down and windows up and the AC on it does keep you cool and I have never had/seen or heard of any issues with doing so.

-cheers
:cheers:

No issue at all except that you are wasting a bit more gas by turning on the ac..so just thining your wallet by a slight bit... :p

CJ_Boxster 11-01-2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z12358
"If you don't have that or use it you can set the temperature, airconditioning, speed and distribution points yourself and the car maintains that temperature."

Z.

Wow, Now i have another thing to make me love my boxster even more. I have the Auto Climate controls, I live in Southern California and With the top down, i do sometimes use the A/C But not on auto.