Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2021, 08:04 AM   #1

Garage
Question Oil cap looks moist. Should I be worried?

I'm changing the oil in my 99' boxster and I noticed taking the oil cap off was hard. Then when I got it off there was a weird moist oil residue on the top of the filler and the cap looked wet. Should I be worried?

CharlesE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:27 AM   #2

Garage
Also the oil that came out looked fine. The dipstick looked normal. But I think my AOS might be going bad.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #3

Garage
How do you drive your car? Lots of short trips that barely get engine warm? Looks to me like engine not getting hot enough to cook off water vapor. As far as AOS get a manometer and check.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:44 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
How do you drive your car? Lots of short trips that barely get engine warm? Looks to me like engine not getting hot enough to cook off water vapor. As far as AOS get a manometer and check.
Just came from a long drive on the highway so it usually always gets up to temp. Is it possible the cap is going bad in letting moisture in.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:52 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesE View Post
Just came from a long drive on the highway so it usually always gets up to temp. Is it possible the cap is going bad in letting moisture in.
The cap would show as an air leak. As engine cools water will condense inside the case. When you say usually always gets up to temp do you mean you get it to 180 deg and drive for 20 min or more or just gets there and then shut down.

If you are not short driving it then you may have other issues.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Also the oil that came out looked fine. The dipstick looked normal. But I think my AOS might be going bad.
If your AOS was going bad, the sump vacuum level would be too high, which would help get rid of the moisture. Your problem lies elsewhere.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If your AOS was going bad, the sump vacuum level would be too high, which would help get rid of the moisture. Your problem lies elsewhere.
Not enough driving, or perhaps too many short trips..?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:04 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I'm in this camp
2001 Boxster 986 (base) #414
-PCA GGR: Class Champion AX12 '18, '19, '20; CC06 '21; CC05 '22; PAX 5th '19, 3rd '20, '21, & '22
-PCA Zone 7: Class Champion P14 '18, '19; P02 '20; P-03 '22; PAX Champion '20 & '21
BrantyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Possibly, but the water could be coming from an internal source as well.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:28 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
I drive it alot and i dont drive slow so i know its gets warm enough. I did notice a really slow coolant leak but I dont know where its coming from I just see the level drop every month or so. Could this be a factor?
Old 03-06-2021, 08:30 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
I drive it alot and i dont drive slow so i know its gets warm enough. I did notice a really slow coolant leak but I dont know where its coming from I just see the level drop every month or so. Could this be a factor?
First thing I thought of when I saw the photo is a coolant leak into the oil system. The residue under the oil cap is not normal. Hopefully it is something simple like the Oil Cooler.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:53 PM   #12

Depends also of the climate you're at.
We used to have 'normal' 20-30 years ago that if you do not get the car hot for a long time at least couple of times a week (if driven daily) during winter when the temps do hover between 30-0 F, then the oil cap looked just like on the OP's picture. Summer was never a problem.
Also, the coffee color stuff is so small amount, that makes me to believe the current colder weather could be the culprint of this - or very recently started small mix of water to oil.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:22 AM   #13

Quote:
First thing to do is pressure test the cooling system and see if you can determine why your coolant level is dropping and where it is going. Once you know the answer to where the coolant is going you will know if you need to be worried about the moisture on the oil filler cap or not.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:02 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Depends also of the climate you're at.
We used to have 'normal' 20-30 years ago that if you do not get the car hot for a long time at least couple of times a week (if driven daily) during winter when the temps do hover between 30-0 F, then the oil cap looked just like on the OP's picture. Summer was never a problem.
Also, the coffee color stuff is so small amount, that makes me to believe the current colder weather could be the culprint of this - or very recently started small mix of water to oil.
This sounds like it could be whats happening. I did let the car sit for a week so I dont daily drive it. I'm not worried about it but I'll try to find the coolant leak to see if its a problem. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2021, 09:07 AM   #15

looking at your picture I see quite a bit of water droplets on the underside of the oil filler cap. Not good.
Also due to the fact that your slowly loosing coolant that makes the water droplets more suspect. So finding the reason for the coolant loose is rather important.

Things you can do:
Coolant system pressure test.
Test coolant system for presence of hydrocarbons, I think you can still get test kits for this at auto parts stores.
Send an oil sample out and have it tested for the presence of antifreeze.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:45 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
looking at your picture I see quite a bit of water droplets on the underside of the oil filler cap. Not good.
Also due to the fact that your slowly loosing coolant that makes the water droplets more suspect. So finding the reason for the coolant loose is rather important.

Things you can do:
Coolant system pressure test.
Test coolant system for presence of hydrocarbons, I think you can still get test kits for this at auto parts stores.
Send an oil sample out and have it tested for the presence of antifreeze.
Do you have a link to the tool to use to pressure test our coolant tanks?
Old 03-08-2021, 02:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Do you have a link to the tool to use to pressure test our coolant tanks?
Harbor freight carries a coolant system pressure tester for a reasonable price.
It will work on any system.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Bad O-rings on the heat exchanger could be the cause for this issue as well..?

Last edited by Gilles; 03-08-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #19

Garage
[QUOTE=Gilles;631655]Bad O-rings on the he heat exchanger could be a cause then, right?
.[/QUOTE

NO. This is physically not possible. 4 O-rings that contain pressures greater than atmospheric (oil at 15-50 psi and coolant at ~18 psi), cannot leak into each other separated by 2+ inches through the atmosphere @0 psi (14 psia) unless the O rings were gone and the leak was so bad they drained into the other from residual on the engine. But then I think the fluid on the ground would be hard to not notice.

Edit If I ruined a long standing joke like foglights then I apologize.

Last edited by 911monty; 03-08-2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:21 PM   #20

hopefully you have some oil that you could send out to get analyzed might help find the answer..

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil cap , residue