986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Lost key, replacement options? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/79622-lost-key-replacement-options.html)

A_NeonTurtle 02-21-2021 05:07 PM

Lost key, replacement options?

So I lost my keys 5 days ago and have finally decided that they're gone. Called the local porsche dealership and they quoted $400 for the key and then $150 to pair it to my car, and that's not even considering towing fees (not even sure if my car can be towed where it is + the parking brake is up and it's 1st gear) I'd love any insight ya'll would have into the situation as I'm pretty young and this is my first car and have never dealt with anything like this, much less with porsche. Thank y'all in advance :)

JayG 02-21-2021 05:51 PM

If you have no keys, you don't have a lot of options

In addition to getting the key physically cut, it has to be programmed to the car, and that requires not only a Porsche PWIS, but the security codes that can only be gotten from a dealer.

What you were quoted is pretty much inline with other Porsche dealers. The $150 programming is a little high, but not unusual

Starter986 02-22-2021 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_NeonTurtle (Post 630976)
So I lost my keys 5 days ago and have finally decided that they're gone. Called the local porsche dealership and they quoted $400 for the key and then $150 to pair it to my car, and that's not even considering towing fees (not even sure if my car can be towed where it is + the parking brake is up and it's 1st gear) I'd love any insight ya'll would have into the situation as I'm pretty young and this is my first car and have never dealt with anything like this, much less with porsche. Thank y'all in advance :)

Welcome to the forum. Maybe ask the dealer if they'll cut you a deal for two keys.

Oh, the word Porsche is CAPITALIZED. :cheers:

JayG 02-22-2021 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 630985)

Oh, the word Porsche is CAPITALIZED. :cheers:

OUCH!!

Good idea to get 2 keys at the same time

solo118 02-22-2021 06:52 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t there a cheaper key option that does not have any buttons that could just be used to manually lock/unlock the door?

I totally understand the key still needs to be cut and programmed, but would cut the cost of the key down as $400 seems steep.

JFP in PA 02-22-2021 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_NeonTurtle (Post 630976)

It can be safely flat bedded; they will put wheel dollies under each wheel to allow it to roll up onto the flat bed to get it to the dealer you choose.

You might be able to find a cheaper key somewhere, but the car cannot be coded to accept it without the Ipass codes that come from the dealer and the PIWIS diagnostic tool to do the coding. If you want to get this done, just bite the bullet and pay the dealer's price.

A8ked 02-22-2021 10:35 AM

A couple years ago, after receiving oxygen and recovering from getting the price of a new remote key at my local dealer!!

I purchased 2 spare basic keys that have just the light and no locking buttons.
Part # 996-637-041-01 and #996-583-531-00 Only $138.50 for the pair.

The dealer programed them for an additional $88.50

I find inserting the key and turning the lock is not that difficult. I do have to open the door to release the frunk and trunk.

JayG 02-22-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A8ked (Post 631003)
A couple years ago, after receiving oxygen and recovering from getting the price of a new remote key at my local dealer!!

I purchased 2 spare basic keys that have just the light and no locking buttons.
Part # 996-637-041-01 and #996-583-531-00 Only $138.50 for the pair.

The dealer programed them for an additional $88.50

I find inserting the key and turning the lock is not that difficult. I do have to open the door to release the frunk and trunk.

A remote key also activates the security and alarm system

A8ked 02-22-2021 01:25 PM

Maybe it varies with the model year, but my basic keys activate and deactivate the alarm system when I lock or unlock the door.

A_NeonTurtle 02-24-2021 09:42 AM

Are those able to turn on the car?

A8ked 02-24-2021 09:45 AM

Yes, they do everything the remote key does just no buttons.
Manually lock / unlock the door, set and shut off the alarm, Raise and lower windows, start and stop the engine.

A8ked 02-24-2021 10:09 AM

Here's a photo of the basic key.
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1614193721.jpg

Luckyman01 03-01-2021 01:49 PM

Maybe the ECU Doctor could help. Send them your ecu and immobilizer?

Just a thought, maybe a reach.

JayG 03-01-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A8ked (Post 631125)
Yes, they do everything the remote key does just no buttons.
Manually lock / unlock the door, set and shut off the alarm, Raise and lower windows, start and stop the engine.

not exactly, it doesn't remote lock/unlock the doors or open the trunk or frunk

Richard G 06-05-2021 02:10 PM

I lost my keys and bought new key fob for 150 from a Porsche dealer here in Los Angeles sun coast Porsche has the fobs for about the same price I have a copy of my key I will just need to get it programmed asap I don't really want to tow it to a dealer and a few auto locksmiths I called don't to Porsche

JFP in PA 06-05-2021 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard G (Post 636886)
I lost my keys and bought new key fob for 150 from a Porsche dealer here in Los Angeles sun coast Porsche has the fobs for about the same price I have a copy of my key I will just need to get it programmed asap I don't really want to tow it to a dealer and a few auto locksmiths I called don't to Porsche

Unless you have the small white paper tag with the Ipass coding numbers on it, no one can code the car with a new key, not even a dealer.

ike84 06-06-2021 10:23 AM

There are 2 basic security features built into our keys.

The first is a pill that when energized send a signal to the dme. This is what is responsible for disabling the immobilizer. It's the same technology in nearly every "key with a chip" (hint hint)

The second is the remote transmitter. It works similar to garage door openers, it communicated to the immobilizer through a set of rolling codes. In order for it to be programmed, you must (as jfp said) have the iPas code (comes with the key) and a piwis to enter that code into the dme system along with your immobilizer codes (which can be obtained by politely asking from most Porsche dealerships). You will occasionally see these keys with codes for sale on EBay. They're never cheap, but they're less expensive than what the dealer charges for them.

So, in short, you can buy a basic key (without buttons) and have the pill cut and programmed by anyone who has that ability - you can actually buy the programming hardware in Amazon - and it will work fine in your car. If you want the clickety click buttons though you only have one choice - legit key with code and piwis tool (unless you buy a basic key and then install a 433.9mhz receiver hardwired into the central locking circuit in the center dash, but that's a different discussion)

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

obthomas 06-06-2021 04:18 PM

There is another approach.

Remove the pill from a working key and attach it under the ignition cylinder bezel with tie wrap, shrink wrap or glue.

Buy a plain key online and have it cut to fit the car latches and ignition switch.

Buy and install an inexpensive remote start keyless entry system from Amazon or Ebay, Search this site for "3rd party keyless entry" for detailed information.

In the end you have as many keys as you buy and fobs that work for keyless entry.

All for less than $100

Good Luck

Richard G 06-08-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 636890)
Unless you have the small white paper tag with the Ipass coding numbers on it, no one can code the car with a new key, not even a dealer.

When i purchased the keyfob from the dealer it has info on the white tags that come with the key. I do not believe they will sell you a keyfob without providing the info needed or is there some other info i might be missing thats needed? my unit under the car seat has been swapped out before hope that wont be an issue i thought i read it might be an issue.

JFP in PA 06-08-2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard G (Post 637055)
When i purchased the keyfob from the dealer it has info on the white tags that come with the key. I do not believe they will sell you a keyfob without providing the info needed or is there some other info i might be missing thats needed? my unit under the car seat has been swapped out before hope that wont be an issue i thought i read it might be an issue.

There are a lot of people selling keys with either fake or totally missing Ipas tags, and you only find out the tags are bogus when you try to code the car.