986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Suggestions for looking over car (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/79621-suggestions-looking-over-car.html)

DWBOX2000 02-21-2021 03:56 PM

Suggestions for looking over car

Hi everyone, it’s been a long tine since I’ve been on the board. Friend just bought 99 Boxster with 91k on it. Pretty far from home so no Ppi possible. I went with him to look over. Drove straight, sounded great, tight car. I check the coolant for oil, the gas cap for sludge, tried removing oil cap while running. All looked good. The one concerning thing was coolant level was low. I mentioned radiators possibly leaking or worse but I saw zero signs of anything. The shop topped off and bought car and drove home about 100 miles. Temp was peg at approx 182 the whole way.Ran great, drove again today again with no issues. Coolant level held.
I want to change his oil this week and check the filter and hopefully I can get my durametric on it to check cam deviations. His car might be #4 so it might not work.
Anything else I should check? I’m not scoping cylinders or dropping the oil pan.
What else can I do?
Guy had no receipts but claimed IMs and water pump were done. Not sure I believe him.
Thanks, David

blue62 02-21-2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 (Post 630975)
Hi everyone, it’s been a long tine since I’ve been on the board. Friend just bought 99 Boxster with 91k on it. Pretty far from home so no Ppi possible. I went with him to look over. Drove straight, sounded great, tight car. I check the coolant for oil, the gas cap for sludge, tried removing oil cap while running. All looked good. The one concerning thing was coolant level was low. I mentioned radiators possibly leaking or worse but I saw zero signs of anything. The shop topped off and bought car and drove home about 100 miles. Temp was peg at approx 182 the whole way.Ran great, drove again today again with no issues. Coolant level held.
I want to change his oil this week and check the filter and hopefully I can get my durametric on it to check cam deviations. His car might be #4 so it might not work.
Anything else I should check? I’m not scoping cylinders or dropping the oil pan.
What else can I do?
Guy had no receipts but claimed IMs and water pump were done. Not sure I believe him.
Thanks, David

You can check the wheel bearings, just the standard jack the car up and see if there is any play in each wheel. Grab the wheel at top and bottom try to rock the wheel. Grab the wheel at 3 oclock and 9 oclock rock the wheel. If you feel any play the bearings need attention.

Check Brake pads and rotors for scoring. all you have to do is pull the wheels and look at them. You will be able to get an idea of condition and miles left on the pads with just a visual.

Spark plug tubes for oil leaks, look for oil leaks while changing the oil.

Motor mount if you can get a visual on the rubber center if not you can feel by driving the car if the mount is toast and you know what to feel for.

Not a bad idea to have a look at the air filter.

DWBOX2000 02-22-2021 04:55 AM

Good stuff. I will certainly check that stuff out. Thanks.