Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2021, 08:35 AM   #1

Guide Bushing for Fuel Door Release Rod

The title part is missing on my car so when I lock the car, the fuel door release rod does not properly enter its resting place and the fuel door remains unlocked. I have ordered the title part from Pelican and the question is: has anyone actually replaced this part and, if so, do you have any tips on how to do that? The space to work on this is extremely limited and I was wondering if there were any tips on how best to get that guide bushing inserted.

2018 Macan S
2021 718 Spyder
Balloonmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:54 AM   #2

The photographs make it pretty clear that it doesn't require any fasteners and that it should be easily press fitted into its resting place. There is a flat side on the part that will need to be appropriately aligned with its counterpart on the car.
jdavis8361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:23 AM   #3

Garage
I agree. I did this recently. You should be able to figure it out once you open the fuel door and are holding the new part. When you open the fuel door you’ll have all the access that you need.

Couple things to note: the flat part of the guide will be on top. Also make sure the plastic hoop that connects to the manual fuel door release is attached before sliding the new guide into place

Last edited by ZDCATC; 02-23-2021 at 05:01 AM.
ZDCATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:11 AM   #4

Thanx, guys, for your help. Indeed, the part just slides over the fuel door locking pin and snaps into place. I installed the flat side towards the top and tested. Works properly now. Thanx again for your help.
2018 Macan S
2021 718 Spyder
Balloonmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:06 AM   #5

FWIW, when I discovered that the bushing was missing on my car, I simply replaced it with a 50-cent rubber grommet from AutoZone that I happened to have lying around. It works fine. (EDIT: Okay, I just pulled up the OEM part number and I see that it's only a buck thirty-two... Even I'm not so cheap as to refuse to pay that. I'll probably order the OEM bushing the next time I order something from Pelican Parts. Cheers!)

Last edited by Banana S; 03-15-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote