Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2006, 06:24 PM   #1

Question Kumho Tires

I'm considering ordering foru Kuhmo ECSTA ASX tires from Tire Rack - the Tire Rack reviews and surveys look good but I don't know anyone who has them. They're much less $$$$ than most others and I can't find any negative reviews.......I got 17K on the Michelin Pilots and they're about finished. I understand that the Kuhmo's are longer wearing than the Michelins, "might" be a tad noisy, and do well on wet roads but not great. Would appreciate anyone commenting that has run them on their Boxster.

tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #2

I don't have a Boxster yet, but I ran the ASX's on my 928 and I like them. They're one of the best all season tires available and I didn't find them noisy at all. They were surprisingly good in both wet and dry roadholding.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #3

Smile

I have these on my BMW 328I. It is a great tire at a great price. Quiet and grippy.
I bought mine from tire rack also.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #4

I found my Kumho's loud, like slicks in the rain or 45 degree weather, and impossible to balance (out of round). YMMV.

The sumitomos HTRZII's I bought after that were far better and cheaper too.

Of course, nothing compares to the PS2's I've got now. Simply amazing.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:18 AM   #5

Thumbs down Kuhmo

I bought them from WTC or STS as it is called now and they were a great dissappoinment. STS did not do the high speed balancing, he lied. STS for a start, used the wrong weights(used the clip ons in lieu of the glue ons), put the weights naturally in the wrong place to make a long story short I ended up in telling the manager to get them off and get me the Michelins OEM, after a screaming match he complied with my wishes. The Khumo tires were excessive loud, had a bounce to it, probably the bad balancing, so in the end I opted for what I knew worked which was what I should have done first instead off saving a few bucks. In the long run a few dollars doesn't mean much if you put your life on the line with inferior tires. Naturally STS sucks too! Go to the dealer or someone that actually does the high speed balancing or to a friend that you know. Make an intelligent choice from there.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:48 AM   #6

I had these put on about 3 months ago and I really like them. They are definitely more of an "all season" which is what I was looking for. They do well in the rain and, for me, allow me to get home if it snows a bit. My previous Michelins were awfull in heavy rain. I don't find them to be loud - but perhaps with a few more thousand miles on them we'll see. They aren't quite as grippy and there is a bit of give on hard cornering. But, again, they are all season tires so you have to expect some trade-offs. Personally if I was in Florida I'd look for something that was a little less all season and focused more on high performance and wet performance. But for what I wanted, these are damn near perfect.....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:59 AM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2519j
I bought them from WTC or STS as it is called now and they were a great dissappoinment. STS did not do the high speed balancing, he lied. STS for a start, used the wrong weights(used the clip ons in lieu of the glue ons), put the weights naturally in the wrong place to make a long story short I ended up in telling the manager to get them off and get me the Michelins OEM, after a screaming match he complied with my wishes. The Khumo tires were excessive loud, had a bounce to it, probably the bad balancing, so in the end I opted for what I knew worked which was what I should have done first instead off saving a few bucks. In the long run a few dollars doesn't mean much if you put your life on the line with inferior tires. Naturally STS sucks too! Go to the dealer or someone that actually does the high speed balancing or to a friend that you know. Make an intelligent choice from there.
That doesn't sound like a problem with Kuhmos at all. You'd have had the same problems with any tire if the wheels are out of balance.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:34 AM   #8

I have the ASX on the Boxster and the 928. Great tires with good longevity and wonderful traction. I've gone through the "Tail of the Dragon" with them on the 928 and through the North GA mountains with them on the Boxster and had no trouble keeping up with the others at all. Felt nice and in control at all times.

Can't beat the performance for the price in my opinion.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote