Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2006, 08:13 AM   #1

New to forum, list of problems?

hey guys im picking up an 01 seal grey porsche boxter this weekend, and was wanting to know the common problems that you guys have had with the car at all? im sure most of you will say its great to buy, but anyone regret buyin theres?

ive never actually looked at the engine, how hard is it to do an oil change/spark plugs/anything on the car?

03b0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:22 AM   #2

Congrats! I assume you've done a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) of the BoxSter at a Porsche mechanic before commiting to buy it.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:24 AM   #3

Congrats! Great car, great year, great color. How many miles does it have? Several guys change their own oil and perform minor maintenance on their Boxsters, but I've pretty much had a local shop do mine. Getting to the engine is a bit involved, as you don't just lift the hood. You either get to it from below, or you have to take the top loose, remove the storage bag or box from on top of the engine, undo the fasteners and lift the panel off of the top. The front panel is behind the seats. Once you get those off, then it's still pretty tight getting to everything.

I have a 2001 model and have had a few problems, but nothing major. I have replaced a rear wheel bearing, the driver's door power window regulator, the ignition switch (easy to fix), the front sway bar links, and the fuel pump (that was a fun one). Some of the items needed to be done when I bought the car. I would find a local shop (the dealers can be VERY expensive) and get to know the service manager. Porsche repair places tend not to be high volumn outfits and the regular customers are treated very well. Since you are in Dallas, one of the best places with reasonable shop rates is RUF Autocentre in North Dallas. Hans Hoffman would be the guy to talk to.

These cars are not cheap when it comes to repairs and maintenance, so Porsche ownership isn't for everyone. But owning one can sure make life a lot sweeter.

Welcome to the club. :dance:

Last edited by Thumper; 10-24-2006 at 08:26 AM.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:32 AM   #4

Nothing's really hard to change on this car, but the cost of parts and labor if others are doing the changing out can be expensive.

Find yourself a very good independent mechanic from someone in your local PCA. And if you are not a member, become one ASAP. It's worth the $35 a year to join with the magazine, local events with free food and beer, etc. You'll also make friends who know where to get parts, who to take the car to when it's dying on you without explanation, etc.

My links below may also be helpful to you. Enjoy the car, and welcome to the Porsche family and this forum. I hope you find both to be a wonderful experience!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
bmussatti

03b0x, based on your "User Profile", you are under the age of 21! Good for you.

I hope you, and or, your parents have deep pockets to keep you in this car choice. There are several young owners who are part of this great Forum....so it can be done.

Good luck and congrats!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:46 AM   #6

You can look forward to:

Replacing tires frequently. Align wheels as needed

Possibility of RMS replacement

Problems with convertible top if you keep the car long enough

Wheel bearings

Other oil leaks including cam covers

Brakes as needed

Ignition switch replacement-perhaps

Factory battery is for crap. Buy a cheap replacement as needed

Stero stinks but many of us don't care

Change the oil and filter at 7500, not 15K. Use M1 or other top line syn like Red Line.

Change all other fluids religiously.

keep car garaged

Use Klasse of similar great wax/acylic polish

Find a good local mechanic who has reasonable rates.

Best of luck with the Box.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
03b0x, based on your "User Profile", you are under the age of 21! Good for you.

I hope you, and or, your parents have deep pockets to keep you in this car choice. There are several young owners who are part of this great Forum....so it can be done.

Good luck and congrats!

hahah my parents. sorry man but i moved out. im buying the car myself. started my own company a year ago building computers and servers for corporations and its going pretty well i must say.

nevertheless. thanks for the help guys! i really appreciate it all! and look forward to talking to you guys more
Old 10-24-2006, 10:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
Congrats! Great car, great year, great color. How many miles does it have? Several guys change their own oil and perform minor maintenance on their Boxsters, but I've pretty much had a local shop do mine. Getting to the engine is a bit involved, as you don't just lift the hood. You either get to it from below, or you have to take the top loose, remove the storage bag or box from on top of the engine, undo the fasteners and lift the panel off of the top. The front panel is behind the seats. Once you get those off, then it's still pretty tight getting to everything.

I have a 2001 model and have had a few problems, but nothing major. I have replaced a rear wheel bearing, the driver's door power window regulator, the ignition switch (easy to fix), the front sway bar links, and the fuel pump (that was a fun one). Some of the items needed to be done when I bought the car. I would find a local shop (the dealers can be VERY expensive) and get to know the service manager. Porsche repair places tend not to be high volumn outfits and the regular customers are treated very well. Since you are in Dallas, one of the best places with reasonable shop rates is RUF Autocentre in North Dallas. Hans Hoffman would be the guy to talk to.

These cars are not cheap when it comes to repairs and maintenance, so Porsche ownership isn't for everyone. But owning one can sure make life a lot sweeter.

Welcome to the club. :dance:

the mileage on the car is 16,341. pretty damn low i must say for an 01. but yeah i just found out my finance company offers an extended warranty coverage for my car for only a few bucks more a month. even pays for hotel if i get stranded. sounds pretty good to me. I have gotten it inspected as i am buying it from the porsche dealership here in dallas. everything checks out pretty well.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:04 AM   #9

really did not mean to sound arrogant with that last comment. just people around say ohh daddys car etc etc when i had my bmw. and it gets to ya. i know thats not what you meant..well hope you understand. and i now know that this forums scrolls up and not down. it took me a minute to find my first post hahaha then i realized it starts at the bottom. what is this PCA? i think it would be good to join and everything. but would like to know a little more about it. thanks again fo the help!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:15 AM   #10

"what is this PCA?"

www.pca.org
Old 10-24-2006, 10:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03b0x
hey guys im picking up an 01 seal grey porsche boxter this weekend, and was wanting to know the common problems that you guys have had with the car at all? im sure most of you will say its great to buy, but anyone regret buyin theres?

ive never actually looked at the engine, how hard is it to do an oil change/spark plugs/anything on the car?

If all else fails there is plenty of opinions and knowlege gleaned from the Menu. Pay particular attention to General Discussions and Performance Talk. I went through every one of these threads while searching for a boxster.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #12

Smile In response to your great web page

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Nothing's really hard to change on this car, but the cost of parts and labor if others are doing the changing out can be expensive.

Find yourself a very good independent mechanic from someone in your local PCA. And if you are not a member, become one ASAP. It's worth the $35 a year to join with the magazine, local events with free food and beer, etc. You'll also make friends who know where to get parts, who to take the car to when it's dying on you without explanation, etc.

My links below may also be helpful to you. Enjoy the car, and welcome to the Porsche family and this forum. I hope you find both to be a wonderful experience!
hi,
I'm not necessarily quoting, but Randall, thanks for all of the advice, I even kept your page as a favorite. So my question is, you talked about the front and rear fog lamps, and I was at the dealership today (got a killer deal, the rep made a mistake and called me just now to tell me he quoted the price on a minor service instead of a major service, so I saved bucks =) and was told about the rear fog lamps. I was always wondering why only the left side lit up and he told me the same thing you said, but you also talked about how both lights could be connected so they both light up. I asked the service guy and he told me that he couldn't modify it (shaking his head "No, we can't do it"), so I was thinking: how can I have it done or do it myself? Any info? Thanks!
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:50 AM   #13

Making both fog lamps work is a hack for sure. That's why the dealer won't do it for you.

Basically, you need to remove the lamp assembly for the one that does work and solder a wire to it and run it under the carpet to the other side and solder it to the lamp housing, which is there, but there may or may not be a bulb in the socket. Then they'll both come on.

Of course, I have only used them twice in three years and it may not be worth your energy. The best use of them is to turn them on and off quickly when someone is tailgating you and you have cruise control working. This way, you can send a brake light message to them without actually tapping on the brakes.

Now if you should try this is many places in south Texas where I live, you better have a handgun in the car with you because road rage is common here. Someone's bound to get pissed off that the Porsche in front of them is putzing along the freeway.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:52 AM   #14

Congrats Mate,

I have had my 2002 seal grey 2.7 for a couple weeks now.....think i will take next week of so i can enjoy it more.

Its torture parking it and going to work for the first week..

Enjoy, post a picture, what colour is the interior?

Steven

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #15

Thanks, Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Making both fog lamps work is a hack for sure. That's why the dealer won't do it for you.

Basically, you need to remove the lamp assembly for the one that does work and solder a wire to it and run it under the carpet to the other side and solder it to the lamp housing, which is there, but there may or may not be a bulb in the socket. Then they'll both come on.

Of course, I have only used them twice in three years and it may not be worth your energy. The best use of them is to turn them on and off quickly when someone is tailgating you and you have cruise control working. This way, you can send a brake light message to them without actually tapping on the brakes.

Now if you should try this is many places in south Texas where I live, you better have a handgun in the car with you because road rage is common here. Someone's bound to get pissed off that the Porsche in front of them is putzing along the freeway.
I will have to check that out, if I have the energy to do it =) It just seems kind of cheesy to have the one fog lamp on and the other one off...but anyway, I got the car back today and it runs like brand new...hopefully no other oil leaks for awhile
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher
I will have to check that out, if I have the energy to do it =) It just seems kind of cheesy to have the one fog lamp on and the other one off...but anyway, I got the car back today and it runs like brand new...hopefully no other oil leaks for awhile
BTW, Mercedes and Jaguar also have one rear fog light...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:26 PM   #17

Hi,

There's a lot of misunderstanding of what Fog Lamps really are. They are NOT to aid you in seeing better in a Fog, they are there so other drivers, approaching you in either direction, can see you.

There are very good reasons to only have one Rear Fog Lamp.

The first is so the approaching driver recognizes it as a Fog Lamp and not Brake Lights.

The second is so an approaching driver will know which side to pass you on, that is why it's on the Left Side. In a LHD car, on a two-way road, you can always move left, but not always right, due to a shoulder, etc.

Keep them the way they are intended to be for Safety...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote