Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2006, 05:01 AM   #1

head unit no sound and alarms beeps

Hello, new to forum so sorry if this is old news. I join the forum to help me work out a problem with my new head unit install.
I brought a becker sat nav to replace the becker cdr-22. Seem sort forward the units were much the seem the wiring looked the seem.........
Unpluged cdr-22, pluged in becker 7802 and it powered up, but no sound!!!!
Looked at back of head unit..NO SPEAKER wires, they all go to the amp in the front of my boxster!!!!
Went to 3 hi-fi shops how all look clueless......answers from:
No mate needs a rewire.
Head units faulty
head units not the right one for the car..?
you need a different cable, that we dont have, dont sale, and dont know who does!!!
Anyway went home looked at it for a couple of hours, only to find that a pin on the cdr-22 that is marked not assigned (socket c1-pin6) has power coming out.
unlike the same pin on the sat nav unit that uses that pin as a sub out put. Cut wire leading to pin 6, add power from one of the ofter out puts.............SOUND.

How to the beep on the alarm......went to bed with it going round in my head.
Went down next morning with questions that needed answers.
First thing was will it do it if the unit is NOT in the cage? ANSWER NO!!
Therefore there is something touching unit that tells car there is a issue with unit..
Pull out old cdr-22 and there is a seem plastic strip on the side, which once the unit is pushed in the metal contact on the side of cage touchs and keeps the circuit closed!!!
A quick pull out of new unit....a small bit of tape on the left side, carefully pushed back in......................................pressed alarm.................................NO BEEP.

I am happy: no beep, and i feel happy that I and not porsche and 3 pro car places done what they were unable to do!!!
Hope this helps, hope that i have explained well, as dont like pc's that much.

princewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
krw

thanks for the help

I have been having problems with my alarm going off for no reason after installing an aftermarket Alpine. I just read your post and tested the theory on mine. Seems to be the fix I was looking for. Now I just need to keep an eye on it and see if it goes off again.

-Kevin-

krw is offline   Reply With Quote