Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2006, 04:02 PM   #1

boxster or boxster s

Hi,

I'm actually in the market for a 986 and wanted your opinion as to whether I should purchase a later model Boxster S (2001-2002), or buy a newer model Boxster (2004) as they are approximately the same price on the Australian second hand car market....

Will the Boxster give me enough performance to keep me satisfied for awhile? Or will I regret and soon want a Boxster S?

Also, am I likely to run into any problems with an older model Boxster S? I will be stretching my budget to get this car so if I run into alot of issues I know it will become a real headache for me.

Thanks in advance!

YanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #2

depends what you are planning to do me thinks.

Two scenarios:
a)Do they have allot of track or autocross venues near where you live? If so I would say get the extra power the 3.2 makes. The 2.7 will give you MORE THAN ENOUGH power to get you into trouble in high performance driving, but you might find yourself yearning for that extra oomph. And its too expensive to add more power in this car, not worth it. Best to get from the start.

B)If you are just taking it out for a weekend spin to look nice for the sheilas then you won't miss the extra power if you go for the 2.7
The 2004 was the heaviest Boxster ever made so you might want to try it out and see if the 2.7 has the acceleration "feel" you are looking for, particular compared to a lighter more powerful 3.2 from 2000-2002. The 2004 was very refined with some things not available on the earlier S models. The warranty that's good for another year and the low miles will definitely help let you sleep at night.

Allot of people will tell there's not much difference in power but I think that's not correct. I drove both and it wasn't the same car to me. I don't think one was better than the other but they were certainly different. My local autocross club put the 250-258 HP 3.2 model in the same group as the standard 330 HP 911 and I've often matched and beaten them. The 2.7 gets classed with the 240 HP S2000 and its often a pretty close fight.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:54 PM   #3

YanG:
"I will be stretching my budget to get this car..."

Yan, if a car ever needed a cushion for expenses, a Porsche would be it. Be prepared that all maintenance and repair will cost much more for it than for most other cars.

As for S or non-S, drive them both and you decide if the difference in feel is worth the difference priced by the market. They're both great cars but the difference is noticeable (speaking for 987 here).

Z.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:02 PM   #4

as an "s" driver.... i know i would never have felt entirely satisfied with the non-s car. but that's me, and i am sure it has to do with low self esteem of some other psych bs. ----if i were you i would get a newer "s"--- stretch yourself even further, cuz life is for living---not for watching others live it. you will find a way to afford it and if it is too painful you will sell it retaining the expereince of driving what you truely wanted......

hell.... im jealous every time i see a newerone drive by!

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...P4724Large.jpg
Rondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
blkboxster

well i have a 99,and i love it.i think you should go with a S.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog
as an "s" driver.... i know i would never have felt entirely satisfied with the non-s car. but that's me, and i am sure it has to do with low self esteem of some other psych bs. ----if i were you i would get a newer "s"--- stretch yourself even further, cuz life is for living---not for watching others live it. you will find a way to afford it and if it is too painful you will sell it retaining the expereince of driving what you truely wanted......
haha yeah I am already stretching the budget mate... I can't stretch no further!

The only reason why I am considering the Boxster is like you guys said, the warranty and low mileage, otherwise I definately go for the older S.

Also, you guys think the resell value would be higher down the track (say about 2-3 years) on a 01 S or 04 Boxster? Given they have roughly average mileage... Need to also take things like this into consideration...
YanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:43 PM   #7

this point on resale value of s vs. non-s has been debated furiously.

It really depends on your local market values.

I've seen non-s models in one part of the U.S. selling for more than S-models
in other parts (same year, miles, etc.,)

If you weren't overseas I would say just WAIT until the values come down. The new 987 is depressing the market values in general because its not selling quiet as well as they hoped (pricing me thinks). That means the 986 will come down as well and every day there are more people looking to get into something newer.
And as they say time zips right by. I'd get an S2000 and wait two seasons until you aren't eating macaroni and selling your blood at the blood bank jsut to put petrol in the tank. Both completely justifiable endeavors to get in a silver BoxsterS with red interior.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:49 PM   #8

Just got into an '02 "S" myself. If you are looking at spending less $$$ - you can't go wrong with a good condition older model. Just depends on if you are ok with things like no rear glass... As for S or no S - I say S, cause why the heck not...

Regardless - I agree with Rondog - spend what ever it takes to get the car of your dreams.

- C5150