Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #1

performance driving schools

any good ones un socal?

550spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #2

I wish there were more groups like EVO.
http://autocross.server269.com/evolution/modules/news/

assuming you are new and aren't looking for advanced instruciton...
see if your local PCA runs autocross late into the year or starts up early. I would do that ALLOT before investing in HP driving instruction. For $40-50 you'll learn ALL of the same basic principles, get an instructor to go with you on every lap and get out the jitters.

The funny thing with instruction is that your brain will process all of what you are being told and it won't mean a hill of beans until you are capable of doing one
thing:

being comfortable in the car.

Until you can relax and not clench up on the steering wheel like your holding on for dear life, the multi tasking that is required for this type of driving (looking ahead with one side of your brain while executing in the cockpit with the other side of your brain) will NEVER happen.
It's two diferent skills really:
The skill A) of braking at precise spot, putting in enough/but not too much steering input, minimizing the time where your foot is not on the gas, modulating the throttle, etc...
and the B) skill of forgetting that you are doing all these thing, losing that rookie curse of target fixation.

That's allot to accomplish during an expensive driving school like Bondurant, Russell or Daly, etc. Once you have about a dozen Autocross and DE's under your belt invest the dollars in a proper course.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #3

Sign up for a Driver's Education event through your local PCA region. (That is, if you have a Porsche.) I haven't tried auto-cross but perfectlap covered that one nicely.

Compared to the HP schools, at a DE you get much more track time, one-on-one with a very good instructor who's "yours" to brain-pick all day on all sorts of things track-related; you learn much more; you meet a lot of Porsche enthusiasts (the really big and knowledgable ones), and all that for MUCH less $.

Z.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #4

Cool

I signed up for the Skip Barber school at Sebring they have a real nice 3 day school.

jk0001 is offline   Reply With Quote