Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2020, 01:51 PM   #1

Trunk

Hi all
I’ve been trying to get my trunk open. Fob doesn’t work and cable release seems to have snapped. It’s a base ‘00 986. Do all 986’s have the emergency release cable under the taillight? I’ve been digging around and want to make sure I’m not wasting my time. I can’t get the bumper off completely because the spoiler doesn’t go up. The car is new to me so I haven’t gotten To fix everything yet...

Idlegrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
A Porsche Guy

There should be an emergency trunk(rear) cable behind the rear wheel liner on the driver side. You should not have to remove the rear bumper. According to others remove your wheel, remove the liner, and dig for that cable and give it a yank. Here's an image from renntech. I have not done this as of yet; only experience with the frunk cable. It's possible the previous owner re-route the rear cable.

https://www.renntech.org/uploads/post-4-1164692198_thumb.jpg

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 09-15-2020 at 02:11 PM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
There should be an emergency trunk(rear) cable behind the rear wheel liner on the driver side. You should not have to remove the rear bumper. According to others remove your wheel, remove the liner, and dig for that cable and give it a yank. Here's an image from renntech. I have not done this as of yet; only experience with the frunk cable. It's possible the previous owner re-route the rear cable.

https://www.renntech.org/uploads/post-4-1164692198_thumb.jpg
Yeah, I’ve read that and many others. I’ve also seen pictures and diagrams but they’re all vague or contradictory. That’s why I’m asking. If the previous owner moved it I would think it’d be more obvious

Idlegrip is offline   Reply With Quote