Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2020, 04:17 AM   #1

Retrofitting another set of old lights. This time trying LEDs

A few months ago I retrofit a set of old headlight to bixenon projectors. Happy with those results but I had another old pair and thought I'd try Bi-LEDs. A lot simpler hook up so far. When done I'll post a review of the results. Easy upgrade, I think.

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:23 AM   #2
Will there be cake?

Garage
where did you get the new light parts? Those look great and looks like that is better then buying some of the cheap aftermarket stuff out there. How do you aim them?
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
where did you get the new light parts? Those look great and looks like that is better then buying some of the cheap aftermarket stuff out there. How do you aim them?
Heres a link to a video that explains how it's done. The video is about the bixenon kit they sell but they also sell the bowl repIacement brackets if you want to make up your own set up. I bought several inop lights sets on ebay to use for this. They aim with the factory aiming screws. Your right about the Ebay ones. They cant be repaired but these can.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5uAy3hwdc0Y&t=4s
Old 09-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #4

What are you using in the foglights?
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
What are you using in the foglights?
These unless they're too bright.

Last edited by JBauer; 09-14-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
These unless they're too bright.
They look bright! Are you just mounting them with the screws on the bottom? And did you buy the shrouds from the same outfit as the mounting brackets for the headlights?
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
They look bright! Are you just mounting them with the screws on the bottom? And did you buy the shrouds from the same outfit as the mounting brackets for the headlights?
Yes just screws on the bottom. I've never used my fog lights anyway. I just bought the brackets this time. I bought a bixenon kit from them 1st but this time I got the LEDs from Ebay and the shrouds from Amazon. I.just made my own kit basically. I looked it up and the brackets were 29 euros.
I had to rewire the headlights and I'm going to test the LEDs tonight. I'll post a pic.