986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Engine failure. What's a fair price to sell the car at? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/78697-engine-failure-whats-fair-price-sell-car.html)

Aggromuffin 09-09-2020 08:56 AM

Engine failure. What's a fair price to sell the car at?

2001 Boxster S 6 spd manual. 132K engine died on me. Was planning to part it out since it's in good condition, have HID lights, 18 turbo-twists, heated leather seats, etc. However, one of the mechanic's friend is going to make me an offer on the vehicle as a whole. What's a good price i should be looking for? I really don't mind garaging it and slowly parting it out over time but I'm open to not having to deal with that too haha

Quadcammer 09-09-2020 09:21 AM

If you are 100% confident the motor is shot and there is no collusion at play by the mechanics shop, i'd say 4-5k.

If you like the car, and have the skills to part it out, you have the skills to swap in a take out 3.2 and get it running again. Should run you about 4k. then keep it or sell for 11-13k.

Starter986 09-09-2020 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aggromuffin (Post 623994)
2001 Boxster S 6 spd manual. 132K engine died on me. Was planning to part it out since it's in good condition, have HID lights, 18 turbo-twists, heated leather seats, etc. However, one of the mechanic's friend is going to make me an offer on the vehicle as a whole. What's a good price i should be looking for? I really don't mind garaging it and slowly parting it out over time but I'm open to not having to deal with that too haha

Have you considered if the car is in "good" enough condition to support the expense of purchasing and installing a new/used engine?

If/when my engine goes kaput it's likely I'll consider that route... and all the "while you're in there" should-dos. How long you've owned your car... and how well you "know" it should be another consideration. You know your car has "value"... and if that "value" rises to the level inspiring the installation of a new/used engine, and it makes sense financially and personally, you go for it.

Best wishes! :cheers:

Aggromuffin 09-09-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 623997)
If you are 100% confident the motor is shot and there is no collusion at play by the mechanics shop, i'd say 4-5k.

If you like the car, and have the skills to part it out, you have the skills to swap in a take out 3.2 and get it running again. Should run you about 4k. then keep it or sell for 11-13k.

Thank you for the help! I trust the shop and it doesn't smell fishy thus far. I love the car but i don't have the time for a swap with my new job and we're closing on a house next month so the cash would be pretty helpful right now. I feel comfortable with 4k, i'll see what his first offer is.

mikefocke 09-09-2020 09:58 AM

What is the maintenance history? Suspension? Clutch? Brakes. $4k is higher than I see rollers going for by $500-1k.

Do you understand what is wrong with the engine? How expensive to fix it and sell for $7-8k?

Quadcammer 09-09-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke (Post 624003)
What is the maintenance history? Suspension? Clutch? Brakes. $4k is higher than I see rollers going for by $500-1k.

Do you understand what is wrong with the engine? How expensive to fix it and sell for $7-8k?

Most rollers are base models it seems. The 6 speed alone on an S is worth about $1k more than the tranny on a base.

tonythetiger 09-09-2020 04:47 PM

Its a roller

My opinion? I think 4K is high for a 130K car unless everything else has been updated and all it needs is an engine. (unlikely)
I've parted some high mileage Boxsters (3.2s, I wouldnt have bothered parting a base) and it involves a TON of work, a TON of space and a TON of time. Never again.
IF its an S model, Radiators, brakes, core engine, 6 speed, wheels and hardtop (that was a third of my money) were the big ticket items. everything else was a hassle for nickels.

Fixing it isnt worth your time or money unless you are keeping it.

maytag 09-09-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 624004)
Most rollers are base models it seems. The 6 speed alone on an S is worth about $1k more than the tranny on a base.

Yeah.... i always think so. The last 6-spd I sold sat for a month and then went for $800. (Of course, the last one I BOUGHT i paid $1200 for, haha)

$4k is too much for a roller, S or not. But: if you can get it, do it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Newsguy 09-09-2020 06:16 PM

I paid $2750 for a 2002 S roller, so that's a bit high but get it if you can!

TeamOxford 09-10-2020 09:51 PM

IMHO, screw the part-out, ask $3500 for the car complete, as a roller.

If it still runs at all, it's a fair asking price.

Just sayin'...........

TO