986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Rattle sound coming from exaust (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/7860-rattle-sound-coming-exaust.html)

drew900uk 10-22-2006 11:47 AM

Rattle sound coming from exaust

Hello again! The other problem i have with my 97 boxster is a rattling sound from the exaust between 1000-2000 rpm. It doesnt seem to be getting any worse but its definately a problem. Any ideas of what it could be would be greatly appreciated. I get scared of being taken for a ride when i take the car to a garage and i just cant afford it right now! Thanks again. Andrew

MNBoxster 10-22-2006 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew900uk
Hello again! The other problem i have with my 97 boxster is a rattling sound from the exaust between 1000-2000 rpm. It doesnt seem to be getting any worse but its definately a problem. Any ideas of what it could be would be greatly appreciated. I get scared of being taken for a ride when i take the car to a garage and i just cant afford it right now! Thanks again. Andrew

Hi,

I suspect that you have a heat shield which has loosened up. Porsche doesn't use the best fastening kit on these and so you should try and tighten all the bolts which secure the heat shields. I suspect this will end your issue. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

bedfordbox 04-30-2007 11:39 AM

I have been having the same intermittent metallic rattle coming from teh outside underneath the car, 2 days after getting it from the dealer on a 2000 Boxster 2.7. Told the dealer over the phone and they reckon it might be the heat sheild coming loose. I cant get under the car despite being slim so might just take it to a garage and get it looked at!

any other ideas??

drew900uk 04-30-2007 11:46 AM

rattling

front wheel bearings bere to blame, they cost a pittance but of course the labour was NOT. 250 odd quid is what it cost me. Best of luck

conradtan 04-30-2007 11:53 AM

Quote:

front wheel bearings bere to blame, they cost a pittance but of course the labour was NOT. 250 odd quid is what it cost me. Best of luck

"pittance" = small amount

"quid" = several thousand US Dollars

Hehe... :p

PMCHSS 05-03-2007 12:55 AM

I had the same rattling problem on my 2001 Boxster.It was the heat shields at the rear.There are three bolts holding each one on.If you lye down at the rear of your car and feel the heat sheilds you will see if they are loose.You may be able to tighten them but they usually rust around the bolts so you will need to replace them.

porsche986spyder 05-03-2007 10:06 AM

Quote:

I had a sound like that too, then after leaving the car running and looking at it from behind, I realized it was only the chrome exhaust tip. Mine seems to come loose from time to time. One bolt one each side. Check and make sure it's not that. Simple fix. But you will need a hex type tool or large allen key. :cheers: