Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
John H

Opinion on 2003 S w 192k

Looking for a cheap Boxster, just to wrench on, and cruise around for the remainder of the warm weather.

My friends neighbor has 03 boxster s w close to 200k miles. Would you pay $4.5k for this car?

Its dirty in the pics, but drives pretty decent. It will need rear tires and pads soon.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/norwalk-2003-porsche-boxster-6-speed/7165924343.html

Thanks

JohnH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
No way would I buy that one. The steering is upside down:

...but seriously, I don't see anything in that listing that would make me *not* buy it. As with all high mile used cars, I'd either look it over carefully or consider my price based on 'parts value' rather than as a 'car'.

Right now my 185k mile '97 is my favorite one to just take out and throw around the back roads. That reminds me... I need to get off the computer and put the new engine mount in.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #3

Garage
It's local to me. But I already just got one. I like seeing local peeps though
Goldenzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #4

two ways to go

1) no such thing as a cheap Porsche

2) Great opportunity to love, repair and drive.

I favor #2 if you have tools, space, time and money
Luckyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #5

Seems to have a lot of potentially serious things wrong to have been cared for well by enthusiast owners. You are trusting a sellers diagnosis to be right to justify the total safe and driveable cost? Does CT have smog checks that will force repairs?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:54 PM   #6

Garage

Mike's comment about state inspection is a good point. Not an issue where I'm at, so I often forget what some people go through.

If you do look at the car... Do check the fault codes AFTER driving it. Do pull the oil filter off to look at the oil for any debris. -You can pull the filter cup off the bottom of the engine and hardly any extra oil will drain out. The car will have to be jacked up or on ramps and you will need an appropriate filter wrench.
Push all the buttons, grab the tires at 6 and 12 and 3 and 9 and check for suspension play. Figure out how to remove the engine cover: Find out that the power steering fluid is below the dipstick, the engine is filthy, leaking oil, and the vacuum hoses are all broken. Along with everything else, it should probably have the water pump replaced, front bumper removed and radiators cleaned, a new engine mount, idler pulleys, DIY starter rebuild (cleaning), transmission oil change, brake flush, window regulators, and new struts.
I think its not worth paying to have a professional PPI done on a $4,500 car, but you could learn a lot if you do it.
Mike has a some good info about buying here: https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

...but you could probably buy it for $4,500 and drive the poop out of it for the rest of the year without spending more than a few hundred (plus the cost of some awesome tires ...tires matter).
Old 07-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #7
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH123 View Post
=My friends neighbor has 03 boxster s w close to 200k miles. Would you pay $4.5k for this car?
https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/norwalk-2003-porsche-boxster-6-speed/7165924343.html
Short answer: no.
Long answer: hell, no.
Would I care to elaborate? f*** no.

But hey......it's your dime.

Just sayin'.....

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:12 PM   #8
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Why would anyone want to be seen driving this heap? Okay this ahole says it is in good shape and drives well? Does he know what a clean car looks like? He's selling a car and doesn't even bother to wash it before taking pictures? Wash your friggin car dumass.

I guarantee this is a POS. Not cause it is high mileage but because it has not been looked after. Ugly exterior and interior equates to really ugly inside the engine, tranny and suspension in my experience. Makes me sick to see a car in this condition. It's like an abused child.

Three words of advise. Pass, pass, pass. Or tell him you'll accept $5,000 to take it off his hands cause that is what you'll need to put into it to make it even remotely acceptable.

PS Nice wheels.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:11 PM   #9

Garage
~200k mile beater that needed some work?
Ask Brian: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/78356-first-year-report-cheap-boxster.htm

I suppose it's more a matter of who you are, what you want, and what you are capable of. I often see potential where others see junk.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:34 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Why would anyone want to be seen driving this heap? Okay this ahole says it is in good shape and drives well? Does he know what a clean car looks like? He's selling a car and doesn't even bother to wash it before taking pictures? Wash your friggin car dumass.
It's amazing how many cars for sale on Craigslist and Marketplace are dirty, or have old t-shirts and kids' cereal scattered all over.
They never realize it says so much about them and what they attempt selling!
Old 07-31-2020, 06:09 AM   #11

This car is Jalponik famous:
https://jalopnik.com/at-5-500-will-this-2003-porsche-boxster-s-totally-cle-1844557055
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:24 AM   #12

This car is on Jalopnik!

I was trying to post a link from my phone, not sure if it went to moderator review or what.

Nice Price or Crack Pipe:
https://jalopnik.com/at-5-500-will-this-2003-porsche-boxster-s-totally-cle-1844557055

Last edited by Rayrevolver; 07-31-2020 at 06:31 AM.
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:25 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I suppose it's more a matter of who you are, what you want, and what you are capable of. I often see potential where others see junk.
I agree the car in question is a great candidate for you since you are capable of transforming a heap of junk into a great car since you have done it many times. However for the average Joe who just wants to hop in and tool around this thing will be a disappointment. It will need a lot of work And $$$ to make it presentable And that isn’t even knowing what lurks within.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:29 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
This car is on Jalopnik!

I was trying to post a link from my phone, not sure if it went to moderator review or what.

Nice Price or Crack Pipe:
Hahahah! I voted crack pipe in there poll.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:51 AM   #15

Not apples to apples comparison but...
I sold my garage kept and well cared for 2000S with 132K miles two years ago for $7,200. It didn't need anything and had 10 years worth of service records.
Again, not apples to apples but you could drop a few thousand into this car to get it trustworthy and still have it look like crap.
Now that I think about it...I passed on an 03S tip three years ago that was in similar condition to the car you posted, but with about 100K miles. It had sat for over a year as the original owner (PCA) member had passed and he had willed the car to a caretaker.
Price? $4,500.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #16
Will there be cake?

Garage
For all the grief the seller is taking on this and the various P-Car forums, remember there is no such thing as bad publicity. Unseen and without qualification, the car is worth about 2K to the larger market. Other examples pop up with a regularity that are as good or better buys. I'll bet this guy gets more then its worth if he is willing to hang it out there for a while. Washing it isn’t going to up the price.

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote