986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   99 986 Valet Key Won't Start Car (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/78361-99-986-valet-key-wont-start-car.html)

Bronxboy 07-29-2020 11:44 AM

99 986 Valet Key Won't Start Car

As the subject line says, my valet key does not start the car. I don't know whether it is original with the car. Does anyone know what is actually inside the head of a 99 986 key head? Should the key not start the car with my regular key fob near the ignition? Dunno what's going on. Thanks for any advice.

1PorscheBoxster986 07-29-2020 12:01 PM

You are missing the transponder pill. This has to be program by Porsche with their system. You probably just have the laser cut key. The key in it's current state will turn inside the ignition switch but it won't start as you stated and the other purpose will be to manually lock and unlock your door.

Bronxboy 07-29-2020 12:19 PM

Thanks very much. But shouldn't the key start the engine as long as my regular key with its pill is nearby? Does the valet key have its own pill which needs to be programmed?

JFP in PA 07-29-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronxboy (Post 621492)
Thanks very much. But shouldn't the key start the engine as long as my regular key with its pill is nearby? Does the valet key have its own pill which needs to be programmed?

The car is programmed to accept the key, not the other way around.

Bronxboy 07-29-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 621493)
The car is programmed to accept the key, not the other way around.

Now that is really big information for me! Thanks so much! It means, I think, that each key has its own permanent identifying information which the car has to be taught to accept. It also means that each car is capable of recognizing more than one different "pill". In principle, it suggests that it could be taught to recognize a second hand Boxster head. Is that right?

itsnotanova 07-29-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronxboy (Post 621492)

The transponder pill has to be VERY close to the receiver. Like an inch or two

1PorscheBoxster986 08-01-2020 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronxboy (Post 621494)
.... It also means that each car is capable of recognizing more than one different "pill". In principle, it suggests that it could be taught to recognize a second hand Boxster head. Is that right?

You cannot just buy any old Porsche remote with pill included and attempt to program it. There is a series of #s in the bar code label that must be scanned during the programming stage. This label is in the packaging when you purchase a new remote. You need the barcode label scanned or minimum those series of #s manually inputted to program the car to recognize the key.

If you have a standard key cap with your laser cut key there's a chance there's a transponder pill inside of it. I filed mines down with a dremel and placed it inside a Porsche keyfob which doesn't have the remote chip. This is my spare key. I use it sometimes to remind myself of the older times when people had to manually use the key to get into the car and start the car as the norm; I'm not old.

Attachment 22476

Bronxboy 08-02-2020 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 (Post 621719)
You cannot just buy any old Porsche remote with pill included and attempt to program it. There is a series of #s in the bar code label that must be scanned during the programming stage. This label is in the packaging when you purchase a new remote. You need the barcode label scanned or minimum those series of #s manually inputted to program the car to recognize the key.

If you have a standard key cap with your laser cut key there's a chance there's a transponder pill inside of it. I filed mines down with a dremel and placed it inside a Porsche keyfob which doesn't have the remote chip. This is my spare key. I use it sometimes to remind myself of the older times when people had to manually use the key to get into the car and start the car as the norm; I'm not old.

Attachment 22476

Thanks very much, that helps. My situation is puzzling. My 99 986 came with a remote key and a valet key. The remote key manually starts the car, but the remote does not work (& I have no barcode). My valet manually unlocks the door, but does not start the car. Since the remote key starts the car, perhaps the remote part can be made to work. The valet key, though, is a puzzler! Thanks for any feedback.

1PorscheBoxster986 08-02-2020 10:43 AM

You will not have the barcode mention unless you purchase a new remote fob. The remote key you have contains the remote chip and a transponder pill(which is used to start the car). They are useless without each other if you try to start the car so you better be careful with that one key without a replacement.

Your remote key is broken if you changed out the battery and it still doesn't work. It could be an easy fix. I had to solder a new button for mine. Your valet key doesn't have a transponder pill so it's only good for locking/unlocking your doors/armrest/trunk access. If you want to turn that valet key into something more useful then it will cost you about $150-$200 for the new key fob plus a few hundred more to a dealer/shop to program it. You will reuse your valet key that's already been cut.

Bronxboy 08-02-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 (Post 621759)
You will not have the barcode mention unless you purchase a new remote fob. The remote key you have contains the remote chip and a transponder pill(which is used to start the car). They are useless without each other if you try to start the car so you better be careful with that one key without a replacement.

Your remote key is broken if you changed out the battery and it still doesn't work. It could be an easy fix. I had to solder a new button for mine. Your valet key doesn't have a transponder pill so it's only good for locking/unlocking your doors/armrest/trunk access. If you want to turn that valet key into something more useful then it will cost you about $150-$200 for the new key fob plus a few hundred more to a dealer/shop to program it. You will reuse your valet key that's already been cut.

Shouldn't a valet key be able to start the car? I thought it's what you give to a parking attendant so he can move the car, but not access the trunks.

1PorscheBoxster986 08-02-2020 12:05 PM

For general purposes we are calling it a valet key. You don't know if it is. That's why you're puzzle because you're thinking from one angle only. It could be a spare copy the previous owner made in case he or she gets locked out of his or her car knowing there's only one key after all. You can easily replicate a laser cut key for cheap and that's why Porsche has the transponder pill as anti-theft security. Porsche, at the time, also allowed you to order additional keys in different configurations like everything else in their lineup today.

Bronxboy 08-02-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 (Post 621765)
For general purposes we are calling it a valet key. You don't know if it is. That's why your puzzle because you're thinking from one angle only. It could be a spare copy the previous owner made in case he or she gets locked out of his or her car knowing there's only one key after all. You can easily replicate a laser cut key for cheap and that's why Porsche has the transponder pill as anti-theft security. Porsche, at the time, also allowed you to order additional keys in different configurations like everything else in their lineup today.

Good point, thanks. Perhaps the people at Porsche can bring me some clarity on these keys. I took it to be a "valet" key because it's gray, smaller, and doesn't open. Maybe the Porsche people can identify it.

1PorscheBoxster986 08-02-2020 03:42 PM

If you have the standard key cap that I posted above then most likely there's a transponder pill inside of it. It might not have been programmed.

If I recall correctly there are two versions. I'm not sure if the other one looks different. Perhaps you can answer that question if it's different by posting a picture.
The difference is one is with and the other is without the transponder. I also remember reading that you do not need the bar code to program it like the remote :D. I never tried this though.

I guess for the sake of it we can call both versions valet keys.

Bronxboy 08-02-2020 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 (Post 621787)
If you have the standard key cap that I posted above then most likely there's a transponder pill inside of it. It might not have been programmed.

If I recall correctly there are two versions. I'm not sure if the other one looks different. Perhaps you can answer that question if it's different by posting a picture.
The difference is one is with and the other is without the transponder. I also remember reading that you do not need the bar code to program it like the remote :D. I never tried this though.

I guess for the sake of it we can call both versions valet keys.

Here are the two keys. The bigger black one starts the car, the two buttons make the LED flash, but the remote function does not work. The smaller gray key just opens locks.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1596422311.jpg