Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2019, 06:12 AM   #1

Garage
Cool 2000 Boxster S Transmission 2nd gear issue

Thanks for taking the time to read this and give advice. I have a 2000 Boxster S 6 speed that has a problem with the transmission 2nd gear. The car will go into 2nd gear once out of three times and I would like to get as much information as possible. The car had an IMS bearing explosion and I replaced the engine, but not the transmission. Basically, i am having fun trying to get this car back and trying to do it on a budget.

I have replaced the gear shift cables, both of them, Pulled the transmission and did not see any apparent synchros/gear/transmission issues, also the motor mount was inspected and it is in new shape. While the transmission was out I also installed the GBOX Detent. The GBOX Detent did not make a difference.

I have attached some pictures of the transmission gears to see if anyone can see something that we missed. Is it the gear shifting arm? Some sort of adjustment?
I do not know the level of expertise on here, but take a look at the photos and
see if you can detect anything or if you have any suggestions on actions.

tylerpate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #2

Garage
What you are experiencing is standard with the 6-speed. I recommend you call California Motorsports & see what they recommend. I installed their billet shift arrestor & it helps a lot.

As your clutch gets close to wearing out it will get worse.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:43 AM   #3

Garage
What did you end up doing to fix the 2nd gear problem? I'm in the same boat and just doing research to see if there are any options short of rebuilding or replacement which I already know there probably aren't but one good story goes a long way....
87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:54 AM   #4

Check the two fulcrum pins in the transmission. They could be loose, missing, or broken.

There are also several small pins inside of the transmission that can fall out of place. I think they are like set pins.

I've had both happen on track cars,I replaced the fulcrum pins with aftermarket steel ones, I have seen them also back off and completely missing.

The small pins inside was fixed by a mechanic friend -- so I don't know the details there.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:01 AM   #5

Caries

Old 11-11-2022, 03:46 PM   #6

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hudd88qabtfju14/2002%20Boxster%20S%20Transmission%20Rebuild%20Dece mber%202011%20Revision%204.pdf?dl=0

SlowernOlder is offline   Reply With Quote