Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2020, 05:03 AM   #1

Squeaky AC

Hello,

I have a squeak coming from my air conditioner compressor. It only occurs when the AC is on - right when the AC clutch engages. The squeak matches the RPM so as I accelerate the squeak frequency increases as well.

I'm assuming it's a problem with the clutch itself but am looking for suggestions on what the actual problem may be and what options I have for repairing.

This is on a 2000 Boxster S with 86K miles.

Thanks!

dray03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:01 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray03 View Post
Hello,

I have a squeak coming from my air conditioner compressor. It only occurs when the AC is on - right when the AC clutch engages. The squeak matches the RPM so as I accelerate the squeak frequency increases as well.

I'm assuming it's a problem with the clutch itself but am looking for suggestions on what the actual problem may be and what options I have for repairing.

This is on a 2000 Boxster S with 86K miles.

Thanks!
Have you tried spraying some lubricant on the pulley? Are you sure it isn't a crappy belt? What so far have you tried to remedy the annoyance? Have you googled what might be causing a compressor squeak? Details, man. Details.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:21 AM   #3
Who's askin'?

first things first: replace that belt. 95% the squeak goes away, if it doesn't, then let's address from there.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #4

Haven't tried to lubricate the pulley, have a belt on the way so I'll replace it and see if that addresses the issue first.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray03 View Post
Haven't tried to lubricate the pulley, have a belt on the way so I'll replace it and see if that addresses the issue first.
You can put a bit of dielectric grease on the belt and see if it goes away. If it does, then it's time for a new belt.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:25 AM   #6

Finally had a moment to replace the belt, still hear the squeak but I may not have pin pointed where the noise was coming from initially.

I've noticed now that it's only making the noise when the engine is under load. So the sound occurs at idle when the AC clutch engages and I rev the engine as well as when the AC is off and the car begins to move from a stop.

I can get the squeak every time if I stand on the brake and engage the clutch (it's a manual). As the engine starts to lug it'll produce a high pitch chirping noise.

There is no squeak when the engine is at idle with the AC off - but the squeak doesn't seem to be coming from that side of the engine. It's closer to the mid to passenger side.

I'm about to just start replacing idler pulleys to see if that'll resolve it.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:10 PM   #7

That sounds like an idler pulley to me. An easy way is to pull the belt off and feel each pulley. if it squeaks or is rough then replace them, they are very inexpensive (something like 30$) and easy to swap.

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner , squeak