Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2006, 09:09 PM   #1

Any differences between 01 and 03 boxster?

boxster regular not S? I'm interested buying deciding between a 01/03 (Found two different prices)
is there any differences between a 01 or 03?

heatfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:47 AM   #2

I think there should be a comparison at 986faq.com but on the surface the biggest difference is the 03 will have a glass rear window where as the 01 has plastic. There are internal changes, the 03 has a glove box and a few other interior tweaks as well as mechanical ones. The only real downside to an 03 in my opinion is the CDR23 head unit, it works fine but there is no facility for an aux in for an ipod or the like as the system is all fiber based. There has been promises of an aftermarket add-on for years which seems to be almost here but it is expected to be a $599 option.

The 03 is probably still under warranty too which is nice, makes getting an extended warranty mich easier too as they like to sell them to you while you still have factory cover.

Chris.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatfan
boxster regular not S? I'm interested buying deciding between a 01/03 (Found two different prices)
is there any differences between a 01 or 03?
'01-'02 did not see any real changes. Base HP was 217 and 250 (S)

'03 brought (from MSN):
New front and rear lower fascias, revised rear spoiler, body-color air intakes, redesigned exhaust, and glass rear window. VarioCam technology increases horsepower to 228 for Boxster and 258 for Boxster S.

BTW, if at all possible - pick up the "S"....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #4

The glove box and the glass rear window are huge to me. Not having to get out and "chop" the plastic window to insure it folds in half instead of kinking up, and having a place to stow your sunglasses, etc. would be great.

These are the two greatest annoyances I have with my model year Boxster. One I can fix with a 1300.00 aftermarket top (including labor, of course) but the other I am stuck with for as long as I own this model.

Like I wrote before, every year they made nice improvements and it is worth the money to buy the newest S you can possibly afford with the lowest mileage on it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #5

03 has different wheels too.
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #6

We've got a list of all the specs of each Boxster on our site - http://www.epiqautosport.com/mode/content/list/15 - from the different years.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote