Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Todays Mod/Hack;Door Sills

I ordered the Stainless Steel Door Sills from PnP on eBay(Harvey). $86.50 shipped to my house. Wow,these are top notch quality! Simply cut a piece of tape 15.25inches long to line up from the bottom of the door latch and remove the tape and press down. You may want to practice lining up the door sills to be sure of the fit. It matches up nicely with my handbrake and shift knob. Here is a pic!

Old 10-18-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I like them a lot blink, I have the same sills!

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:17 PM   #3

i actually reinstalled mine after the detailer sprayed some cleaner which made the tape lose its elasticity. after scraping the ss sills with a razor blade and then finishing up with GOO GONE,i used goo gone only to remove the residue on the Box. i used Scotch brand (3M)exterior mounting tape p/n: 4011 and put those suckers back on.
i guess after 8 years the original double sided tape was going to go anyway.
Thank you 3M.
Nick-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:07 PM   #4

Blinkwatt

Your next hacks should be to add a Porsche Crest to your steering wheel and trim rings to your gauges. I think I'll get the door sills for Christmas.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:34 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
does the crest on steering wheel cause any problems if airbag should deploy?
or does it pop out where the "cut" is?

thx
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
does the crest on steering wheel cause any problems if airbag should deploy?
or does it pop out where the "cut" is?

thx
Hi,

The Airbag deploys at the cut line, so theoretically it wouldn't pose a problem. On the 3-spoke Airbag, the crest is riveted in place, but I think that's overkill. I replaced the crest on my 3-spoke Airbag because the original crest was marred. I dremeled off the rivet on the original and used Liquid nails to secure the replacement crest, which I believe is stronger. When I disassembled the Airbag, I found the rivet on the original hadn't been properly stamped when manufactured and would likely have detached had the Airbag ever deployed.

I would not use a double-sided tape however if I added a crest to the 4-spoke Airbag, I'd more likely use an adhesive such as Liquid Nails. This will create a better bond than the adhesive used in double-sided tape, but it doesn't cure hard, it's more like a Super Rubber Cement which will take some flexing and still hold (such as when deploying the Airbag). It won't attack the vinyl cover either, so it could be carefully removed in the future if desired.

Don't be tempted to buy one of the $1 Crests which you see on eBay. While the crest is correct, it's dimensions are larger than the Porsche Crests. It's best to go with an NOS 356 Badge which are available through a number of restoration supply retailers. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:15 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ KevinH1990,
Rest assured that I will add both,hopefully by Christmas. For now the next thing for the Boxster is a tranny oil change.