Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2020, 08:05 AM   #1

Differences in Tips from 986 to 987

I am considering picking up a 987 S Tip and was wondering how the Tip in this generation is compared to the older 986 model.

The 996 3.4 I had with a Tip was a great experience, the every other year transmission service was a pain but...

The 986 2.5 I had with a Tip was a nightmare, over heating, at times would go into limp mode.

What am looking for are the Tips in the 987's the same or a different (better?) design than the earlier 986 Tips?

Thanks guys,

Brian

Brian Minson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #2

Owned a '99 TIP 2.5 and a '01 TIP 3.2s. Different button shifter operation. Later better. Usually reliable if fluid changed every so often. Seldom hear of problems even though many of these cars are old and have gone through multiple owners with questionable service history. No history with 987 TIPs. Basically, IIRC, a ZF product. Can be rebuilt.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #3

I own a 99 tip .No issues had the fluid changed and filter .The only failure was a linkage rod in the shifter.The ballsocket came off off the rod.This was last October.I just got a new one this week.Porsche Germany didn`t have it and they had to issue a build order for more. I bonded it and it actually lasted untill 2 weeks ago.Failed in my driveway, bonus. 23 units came to the US one to Canada.I got the one. My car has 168 kms.

95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote