Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
Tyler

Garage
PSE Questions

Hello all,

I have searched for something regarding this but I haven't found anything.

My car (2003 S) has the PSE installed. It was not factory, it was done shortly after the car was purchased new (I believe). It is valved, like all the PSE exhausts, but it has no switch or relay. I bought a switch, only to discover there is no relay in my relay panel.

Would there be a way to get the switch working without the OE relay? are the valves always open if I have no relay? How can I tell if the valves are open?

Thanks in advance.

redbox986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
IIRC it works on a vacuum and opens up circa 3k rpm.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #3

If I recall correctly, the relay is located in the drivers side footwell (uk car) on the rhs. You will have to take the carpeted panel off to reach it.

There are 2 different relays. The earlier ones operate the valves automatically at certain speeds and I think the part number ends in 02. The later ones with the switch end in 03.

You can buy the switch and relay from your nearest Porsche centre. My car was fitted with the 02 relay when I bought it, and the exhaust actuators were non functional due to severe corrosion. I fitted new 997 actuators which are a little better, and then wired in the switch and fitted the 03 relay.

You can check in your engine bay for the presence of the PSE vacuum canister and solenoids. They're located close to the throttle body.
witko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
Tyler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by witko999 View Post
If I recall correctly, the relay is located in the drivers side footwell (uk car) on the rhs. You will have to take the carpeted panel off to reach it.

There are 2 different relays. The earlier ones operate the valves automatically at certain speeds and I think the part number ends in 02. The later ones with the switch end in 03.

You can buy the switch and relay from your nearest Porsche centre. My car was fitted with the 02 relay when I bought it, and the exhaust actuators were non functional due to severe corrosion. I fitted new 997 actuators which are a little better, and then wired in the switch and fitted the 03 relay.

You can check in your engine bay for the presence of the PSE vacuum canister and solenoids. They're located close to the throttle body.
I did a bunch of testing and determined that the relay is stuck open. I unplugged it so the exhaust valves are always open. Maybe one day I'll get it to work, but not right now...

redbox986 is offline   Reply With Quote