Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2020, 04:19 AM   #1
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

CV Boot replacement

When doing my transmission service I noticed the boots on the rear axle are shot. I'm not prepared to replace axles... but believe I can squeeze some time out of the existing.

I found this product:

Cuffia facile kit 2 pezzi Ø 80mm - Cuffia Facile, cuffia semiasse innovativa by Hippored

Will this work? I'm thinking easy off... easy on... buys some time. My concern is will their 80mm or 90mm fit the car.

Would anyone here resort to this product?

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2020, 04:38 AM   #2

Split boots sometimes work but mostly not very well. Really, on a base car its pretty easy to replace the boots.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:12 AM   #3

Just replace the boots, there are a few DIY videos on youtube that are very helpful. The boots are cheap, I think you can get the OEM equivalent for under $10.
JustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:34 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
Just replace the boots, there are a few DIY videos on youtube that are very helpful. The boots are cheap, I think you can get the OEM equivalent for under $10.
It's not so much the $$ for the boots, or even an aftermarket axle... it's pulling the axles apart. Well... not so much pulling them apart as it is pulling the axles from the "holes" and then getting the splines, etc. to line back up... line up bolts to holes... etc. I realize it's not rocket science, but I'd hate to get out the axles and then not be able to get them repositioned.

Am I overthinking it?

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2020, 06:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
It's not so much the $$ for the boots, or even an aftermarket axle... it's pulling the axles apart. Well... not so much pulling them apart as it is pulling the axles from the "holes" and then getting the splines, etc. to line back up... line up bolts to holes... etc. I realize it's not rocket science, but I'd hate to get out the axles and then not be able to get them repositioned.

Am I overthinking it?

Thanks!
Not a hard job at all in my opinion.
lining up bolts to holes and lining up splines is a no brainer.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Not a hard job at all in my opinion.
lining up bolts to holes and lining up splines is a no brainer.
+1, lining things up is a 2 second affair.

The only thing to watch for is that you reassemble the inner cv properly as it takes a bit of work to get all the balls back in. Try to keep them in the same holes if you can.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:57 AM   #7

When changing the CV boots anything else worth refreshing?
Old 06-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #8
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I like them. I remember using a similar product on VW's years ago. I tried looking for a Porsche equivalent to no avail. Long term solution no, short term definitely.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
When changing the CV boots anything else worth refreshing?
Just remember to clean very well the treads of the bolts and use a dab of Locktite blue to keep them in place

PS: when you remove the bolts you have to clean the head and ensure that the tool (6mm ..?) goes all the way in and it is in good shape to avoid damaging the sockets of the bolts

Last edited by Gilles; 06-24-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #10
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Just remember to clean very well the treads of the bolts and use a dab of Locktite blue to keep them in place

PS: when you remove the bolts you have to clean the head and ensure that the tool (6mm ..?) goes all the way in and it is in good shape to avoid damaging the sockets of the bolts
if you replace the boots, yep you're pulling the axles and packing the joints with new grease. Lining things up isnt hard, removing exhaust can be hard, have a torch handy to cook off bolts and have replacement hardware.
A critical thing here is the 6mm bolts to the transmission. You need 6 per side, they need to be clean, the holes and the transmission threads need to be clean and you must use loctite and torque them, (29 ft/lb?) otherwise they will come loose, guaranteed. I would also recommend you replace the bolts, they do tend to strip if you dont set your tool well. You will need a long, very strong breaker bar for the axlenut also, pus some copper anti seize to grease the splines. There is advice in other posts for reaching the 340 Ft/lb for the axle nut. It is going to take 1.5 hours per side if you hump. :+)

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote