Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2020, 01:37 AM   #1

The roof doesn't work at all

Hi, the roof on my 2000 Boxster has recently gone bad. It doesn't open at all. Here is the symptoms.

1. The error light is on.
2. When I unlatch it, the windows don't drop.
3. Try to pull the relay and put it back, if I press the relay really hard the error light goes off, but can go on again quickly, I try to unlatch the roof while the light is off, but still nothing happened.
4. The parking brake light is on, the windows works fine when opening the door, so these 2 possibilities should be ruled out ?
5. Sent the latch switch to a technician and after inspected it is fine.

Any idea what was happening ? I read the forum but seems can't find someone with same problem I have.

curtis505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:07 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
There's a troubleshooting procedure in the shop manual that goes through what to check, step by step using a multimeter. I found a copy of it posted online. Here's a link: https://www.justanswer.com/porsche/3vq2d-own-2004-boxster-s-the-top-will-not-go-down-when.html
Old 05-21-2020, 05:09 AM   #3

Could be a number of things. Sounds like you need to get the car plugged in to a decent diagnostic tool to see where the error is.
jonogt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:36 AM   #4

I saw procedure on rennlist to make jumpers for emergency opening might help you elimante the relay.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:08 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

You didn't identify which latch you had inspected... so I'm going to assume it isn't the latch attached to the wihdshield frame... where you "close"... tighten the roof. You know.. the latch where you would insert the red clip. That said...

Poke your finger into the latch... in out in out in out. Maybe there is some debris? Maybe a lightly faulty contact. If that doesn't "fix" it then pull that windshield frame latch and inspect the internals. There is one little part that can wear... and that will cause the latch to not "send"/"receive" any signal... instructions (lower windows, etc.).

My top was acting wonky. Pulled that latch... pened it up... and with a little piece of tape "corrected" the anomaly.

Report back.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:27 AM   #6

Double Post sorry
Old 05-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #7

Thanks everyone, the latch I was referring to is the top latch which you should unlock it so the windows will drop. Checked by a technician and it is in good condition, so now don't know what to check next, perhaps to swap the relay with another car and see if it is ok.
curtis505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:28 AM   #8

I just had a similar problem. Check the cables from the convertible top motor to the top transmission. Mine was completely jammed and would not move. Release the cable from the motor and use a drill to rotate the cable to determine which one isn't working.