Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2020, 06:20 PM   #1

Aftermarket Radio Nightmare HELP!

I haven't given much thought to the radio in my Project Boxster for damn near a year, thus the time has come LOL.

Its a Pioneer AVH-200BT double DIN unit. The last owner had a huge amp in the Frunk, a 10 inch sub in the passenger foot well, and some odd looking things under both sides of the dash. All that is gone and whats left is a factory amp that has all its wires CUT, door speakers that are not factory, and a radio that turns on but has no sound.

How can I get the radio back running thru the speakers in the quickest and lest expensive way?

Here are some photos to help you guys explain whats what and ideas on how to get it working again.

Thanks guys!

Brian

Brian Minson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:23 AM   #2

Garage
Holy hell that is definitely a nightmare. Unfortunately I can't offer much advice because I know nothing about stereos. I do, however, offer you my condolences. I hope you can revive the car's stock configuration. I'll keep you in my nightly prayers in the meantime.

Looking at the stock wiring diagrams would be a start. You'll have to restore the harness as best you can to how the wiring diagram specifies. Theoretically, it should be plug and play then. Assuming all components are back to stock.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:01 AM   #3

I replaced the stock radio in my 2000 986 with a Continental radio. Here are links to two installation threads that may help you to identify some of the wiring:

Continental TR7412UB-OR Stereo Installation and Review

http://www.bergvillfx.com/files/Continental_installationmanual.pdf
danstub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:29 AM   #4

Thanks Traveno, do you happen to have a copy of the wiring diagram you can share?

Brian
Old 05-18-2020, 07:29 AM   #5
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Is this on your ‘01?

Wiring diagrams are in the Bentley manual. The four-pin connector that has the yellow/red and black/green wire is for the rheostat for the intermittent wipers.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #6

That doesn't look so bad. Your best bet is to replace the factory amp with an aftermarket unit in the frunk. A nice 40Wx4 RMS unit with matching speakers works well. Don't bother with the factory amp as it's performance is marginal anyway. This way you don't need to figure out all the wiring behind the head unit, just the constant and accessory power to your Pioneer. Run new RCA signal wires from your Pioneer head unit thru the grommet up behind the gas pedal, past the battery and thru another grommet behind where the original amp goes. Power your amp from the battery and there is even an unused ground terminal by the cabin air filter. Reuse the factory speaker wires from your new amp, the wiring diagrams will tell you which go where.

What's the yellow RCA connector go to? Maybe a backup camera?
JavPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:03 PM   #7

Garage
Aftermarket Radio Nightmare HELP!

Well the least expensive way would be to restore the stock system in my opinion. Do you still have the original stereo? Used ones on eBay go for a few hundred. If you don’t have the original stereo I would take JavPit’s advice and install a simpler aftermarket system. That would be cheaper than buying a used stock stereo.

I’ll see if I can find a wiring diagram when I get home from work tonight. I work swing so it won’t be until very late.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #8
Will there be cake?

Garage
easy enough to shoot a picture of the wiring diagram from the Bentley, Ill PM them if that works. The yellow RCA is a rear camera, see if its there?
True advice, the stock amplifier isn't much, it would be easier to find the wires to each speaker, take pre-amp to a nice new amp and power them that way.
FWIW, I changed all my speakers, have the rear speaker bar and 6.5 in the door for bass. everything works, including faders etc. with the installation kit I found on ebay and using the stock amp. A couple of different stereo options make this less straightforward, but I have the cd changer (disconnected) and I think a 6 x40 amp in the frunk. If you think it helps, I'll look up the option code.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:48 PM   #9
Will there be cake?

Garage
dont know if you can blow these up, happy to email them

Old 05-18-2020, 01:51 PM   #10

UPDATE: I used my wire tracer and confirmed that the drivers door speaker wire does lead to the frunk and the drivers dash speaker does as well. However, none of those lead to the dash and connect up with the head unit. I would assume that there was an aftermarket amp in the frunk at one time that all the speakers plug into along with the big sub. But now that is gone, I assume like others have said is to buy a small basic amp and reconnect things that way and run sound out via RCA cables to the amp then to the speakers.

Sound about right?

Brian
Old 05-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #11
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Yes. Or you could extend the wires and run the speakers off of the deck. You would have to get the speaker lead plug for the deck though. Easiest way is just get a cheap 4 channel amp. Cheapest is source the harness plug for the deck and extend the speaker wires.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #12
Will there be cake?

Garage
you want/need the amp...the deck amp is weak PLUS all the wires behind are hard to cram in there. Spend a little and do it up! how else can you crank your tunes? Buy the harness as well, restore the stock connectors best you can.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:59 PM   #13

Did the amp wires get chopped up in the frunk too? I am with Tony on this spend a little money do it right and be done with it. The previous owner was probably using a 5 channel amp power sub, door, and 2 dash, with the tweeters powered from the head unit. The sing rca maybe for sub out channel or a back up camera.

Easiest if there is such put in a double din hu, use it to power coaxial speakers in the dash wings to get all channels working nothing will be easy as its tight under the dash

There are several good sources for parts and and such like parts express. The door drivers are 5.25” if I remember correctly. Dash wings watch the depth, but you can squeeze 4” speakers. Or you could buy separate components. Many options.