Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #1

Water pump plastic broken

finally able to get the water pump off, one screw took two days...when i finally got the water pump out, the plastic impellers were broken off, and the crankshaft looked like where the impellers hit are damaged...crank case??? what now? this im sure has happened to others, had a hard time removing the gasket as it was connected to other parts of the engine, like the last person to change the pump attached it to the engine somehow...

Tlightfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Read through the attached with pictures. It should answer most of your questions. The forum host, Pelican Parts, has a quite a library of DIY articles for these vehicles.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump.htm
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:21 AM   #3

Garage
Some pictures may help us. Sound like there's going to be fine plastic pieces in your coolant. I think Porsche designed these impellers to be fibrous because they anticipated this happening when a water pump fails. Better than having a metal impeller dig itself into the wall of the case.

I'd give that article a look-over. Then I'd flush my coolant and inspect it for those impeller pieces. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a damaged crankshaft/crankcase? A picture of this would help.

A thorough flush and a new water pump should fix your problem.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:07 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
A major concern would be flushing the cooling system within the engine to make sure that the pieces of the impeller are not blocking any of the passages.

The engine that this pump came from had a blockage that most likely caused a cracked cylinder head. This is the worst water pump I have seen:

The other big concern, as you mentioned, is that the pump can damage the crank case. With a non-metal impeller that is unlikely. As the others have said, post a picture if you can so we can get a better idea of the extent of the problem.

Here's a video I recently made when I was replacing a water pump with a bad bearing. This one had a metal impeller. There may be some useful info for you:

Old 05-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #5

And DO NOT use any type of sealant on the water pump housing; totally unnecessary and can actually cause problems.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveno View Post
Some pictures may help us. Sound like there's going to be fine plastic pieces in your coolant. I think Porsche designed these impellers to be fibrous because they anticipated this happening when a water pump fails. Better than having a metal impeller dig itself into the wall of the case.

I'd give that article a look-over. Then I'd flush my coolant and inspect it for those impeller pieces. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a damaged crankshaft/crankcase? A picture of this would help.

A thorough flush and a new water pump should fix your problem.
Pity they hadn't been so insightful when they decided to fit a wheel bearing in the engine 😉
jonogt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonogt6 View Post
Pity they hadn't been so insightful when they decided to fit a wheel bearing in the engine 😉
:Mic drop!:

piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote