Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #1

H7 LEDs Fog Light Bulbs As DRL?

Is anyone running LEDs in their fog lights? Did you need to use resistors at all?

I thought LED fog lights would also work nicely as DRL for obviously safety reasons.

This is the type of LEDs I'm considering,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2PCS-CAR-68-LED-SMD-XENON-WHITE-BULBS-H7-FOG-LIGHT-12V-/260826465322?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cba78042a

What about LED city lights, anyone has those?

Appreciate any help.

BTW, I have a 2000 S.

panameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #2

LEDs in the headlights

I run those LED bulbs for my fog lights, I also run LED bulbs for my city lights, and my side markers. I used 6000k color all the way around. I have Litronics, and also updated my HID bulb to 6000k to match. I have had no problems or glitches, and did not use any resistors.
achillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Glad to know resistors are not required, makes the job much easier. What kind of LEDs did you get for the fog lights? I guess brighter the better when it comes to LEDs?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #4

No probs. Yes brighter is definitely better, as from what I have seen from the bulbs I've got from Ebay, light output on the road from LEDs is not as good as halogen IMO. Unless you get a really expensive LED set up like what is used in the new Cayenne and Panamera. That being said, the LEDs look really cool in the fog light housing. The tiny SMDs all reflect off of the mirror housing and create a very interesting effect.

I went with some Ebay bulbs from Asia that were $6 shipped...figured I couldn't really go wrong for $6. I find that the more small LED "lights" that are on the bulb, the brighter it is. So I ordered the 102 SMD bulbs. I think the ones in your picture are 68 SMD bulbs, and they should work fine.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:13 AM   #5

!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown

!!!!!!!!!!
Just ordered these,

120SMD LEDs, xenon white.

BTW, might want to update that pic in your sig if you have de ambered.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillian
No probs. Yes brighter is definitely better, as from what I have seen from the bulbs I've got from Ebay, light output on the road from LEDs is not as good as halogen IMO. Unless you get a really expensive LED set up like what is used in the new Cayenne and Panamera. That being said, the LEDs look really cool in the fog light housing. The tiny SMDs all reflect off of the mirror housing and create a very interesting effect.

I went with some Ebay bulbs from Asia that were $6 shipped...figured I couldn't really go wrong for $6. I find that the more small LED "lights" that are on the bulb, the brighter it is. So I ordered the 102 SMD bulbs. I think the ones in your picture are 68 SMD bulbs, and they should work fine.
Just ordered these 120 SMD bulbs, hope they are as nice as seem in the pics.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280544175231&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #8

fixed sig.
Was looking for pics from achillian of the bulbs installed.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown
fixed sig.
Was looking for pics from achillian of the bulbs installed.
Why did you re-amber? Replaced with new headlights?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by panameras
Why did you re-amber? Replaced with new headlights?
Yep. Going to re-de-amber (er?) at some point.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillian
BTW, do you actually use the LED fog lights as DRL, or just fog lights (as in, only when there is fog, lol) ?

I was wondering if we could somehow "bypass" city lights and just turn on the fog lights by themselves?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #12

Sorry for my lag in response, was out of town for the weekend. I alternate between running with my low beams on during the day, and with my parking lights/fog lights. I think Litronics look great when the low beam HID is turned on.

About bypassing the city lights, they looks great when you have replaced them with LEDs...very subtle. So personally, I would not try to bypass them.

Stroked and Blown, I'll get you some pics. I seem to be having trouble accurately capturing the lighting effect on camera. I wonder if an iphone app could be created, so users could take pictures and post directly to the forum.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #13

Pics

Here are some pics taken with my Iphone. Not the best quality, but better then nothing.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2020, 06:05 AM   #14

I have a 2000 S model and modified the fogs to operate as DRLs. Fitted non fan type LEDs which worked fine for about 18 months then stared to flicker and eventually failed.
I made the mistake of replacing the LEDs with fan type, mainly because they were of a slimmer design and easier to install, so I thought.
The upshot is that I encountered radio interference on every FM station which was not cured by fitting a ferrite choke. So my advise is install the non fan type which is bulkier than the fan type and requires a little modification to the housing - cutting a 40mm sq 'inspection' hole on the underside in order to locate the spring retaining clip. 40mm sq? Because that is the size of the plastic cover plate which blocks the 'hole'. The cover plate is secured with duct tape which keeps out moisture.
I used a Dremel to cut the aperture but be careful not to allow debris into the light housing!

Fisheagle is offline   Reply With Quote