986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   RV Towing a Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/77719-rv-towing-boxster.html)

Dreamscape 05-03-2020 02:17 PM

RV Towing a Boxster

I want to know if it's safe and practical to tow a Boxster on a dolly behind an RV. I'm assuming it will have to be towed with the rear wheels on the dolly. Any help is appreciated!

nicecar 05-03-2020 02:32 PM

clearance

I would think ground clearance would be an issue with the front bumper with rear forward.

rexcramer 05-03-2020 05:38 PM

I have never tried your proposal. How high would it raise the tires above the ground? These cars have very low clearance when level. I believe my '97 is right around 4.1" stock. My wife's '09 was even lower. When you know the lift dimension, try jacking the rear up and see what you think?

JayG 05-03-2020 06:44 PM

Put it in a trailer, not a 2 wheel dolly

husker boxster 05-05-2020 05:02 AM

They generally don't recommend having the rear wheels in the dolly as you could get a crabbing or dog tracking issue with the front wheels. But having the fronts in the dolly gets complicated because you don't want to just put the trans in neutral and run the rear wheels in free wheeling mode. More knowledgeable mechanics can chime in, but it's not good on the transaxle to do that, esp if it's a tiptronic. You'd need to remove the half shafts. The safest / easiest method is what Jay suggested - 4 whl trailer.

Wallace River 05-05-2020 06:10 AM

Towing

1 Attachment(s)
I towed mine home on a little Uhaul trailer. Worked great.

rick3000 05-05-2020 06:34 AM

I agree with what everyone else has said, the only safe way to tow it would be on a trailer with all four wheels off the ground, like the Uhaul Wallace River posted. I would probably put it on the trailer backwards to minimize rock damage to the windshield and headlights.

A two wheel dolly isn't going to be safe at highway speed in my opinion. With the car backwards it could move too freely and you'd probably rip the front bumper off. Facing forward and you'd be hurting the transmission and probably scraping the tailpipe.

JayG 05-05-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 616504)
I agree with what everyone else has said, the only safe way to tow it would be on a trailer with all four wheels off the ground, like the Uhaul Wallace River posted. I would probably put it on the trailer backwards to minimize rock damage to the windshield and headlights.

A two wheel dolly isn't going to be safe at highway speed in my opinion. With the car backwards it could move too freely and you'd probably rip the front bumper off. Facing forward and you'd be hurting the transmission and probably scraping the tailpipe.

another reason top back it on the trailer is weight distribution.
You want to make sure the tongue weight is around 10%-15% of the trailer weight and doesn't exceed the hitch tongue weight

A boxster on a steel trailer is around 5000 lbs give or take

If you don't have a tongue scale, do a google search. You can calculate it with a bathroom scale, a 2x4 and a couple of small pipes IIRC

Dreamscape 05-09-2020 06:49 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback! I knew I would get the correct responses! I'm still up in the air about towing it behind my motorcoach. All great ideas to ponder.

BobRickel 05-12-2020 06:55 AM

If it is a manual transaxle you can get a Blue Ox trailering system and just tow it with all 4 wheels on the ground. What ever you decide, I would however make sure that you have mudflaps on the rear RV wheels to keep any debris from hitting the car.

JFP in PA 05-12-2020 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobRickel (Post 616917)
If it is a manual transaxle you can get a Blue Ox trailering system and just tow it with all 4 wheels on the ground. What ever you decide, I would however make sure that you have mudflaps on the rear RV wheels to keep any debris from hitting the car.

All I see on the website for Blue Ox is tow bars, you should NEVER flat tow one of these cars, regardless of transmission type.

JayG 05-12-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamscape (Post 616752)
Thanks for all of the feedback! I knew I would get the correct responses! I'm still up in the air about towing it behind my motorcoach. All great ideas to ponder.

I know lots of people that tow their Porsche behind their RV on a trailer, not a problem at all

jsceash 05-14-2020 05:32 AM

You can get the idea.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Porsche-P...3%280%29-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Porsche-P...8_203722-L.jpg