986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Manual frunk open cable (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/77713-manual-frunk-open-cable.html)

022520 05-02-2020 08:13 PM

Manual frunk open cable

Electrical problem has made my 2001 Boxster frunk switch not work. I tried the fuse box solution without any luck. I’m going to try to get to the manual release cable behind the tire but have gotten two different answers about which side the cable is on. Can someone tell me conclusively which side it’s on, passenger or driver side? I’m in the u.s. so driver side is the left side.

Thanks, Larry

loflyingz 05-02-2020 08:40 PM

Should be passenger side.

Oldcarguy 05-03-2020 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 022520 (Post 616345)
Electrical problem has made my 2001 Boxster frunk switch not work. I tried the fuse box solution without any luck. I’m going to try to get to the manual release cable behind the tire but have gotten two different answers about which side the cable is on. Can someone tell me conclusively which side it’s on, passenger or driver side? I’m in the u.s. so driver side is the left side.

Thanks, Larry

On my 2004 it is on the passenger side under the wheel well cover, between the headlight housing and frunk tub.

NewArt 05-03-2020 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcarguy (Post 616350)
On my 2004 it is on the passenger side under the wheel well cover, between the headlight housing and frunk tub.

Ditto. And use a good flashlight as it could be hiding.

piper6909 05-03-2020 07:13 AM

Passenger side, just like Oldcarguy and loflyingz said. If you are the original owner and didn't re-route it. If you're not the original owner, there's a chance that a previous owner moved it. Most likely just behind the tow hook cover or somewhere behind the bumper cover that's easier to access than the original spot.

99Roadster 06-01-2020 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 616354)
Passenger side, just like Oldcarguy and loflyingz said. If you are the original owner and didn't re-route it. If you're not the original owner, there's a chance that a previous owner moved it. Most likely just behind the tow hook cover or somewhere behind the bumper cover that's easier to access than the original spot.

Yeah this is where I moved mine for easier access...It's right under the front bumper towards the rear tie strapped for super easy access.

GRS from Kzoo 01-10-2021 11:01 AM

Had a problem getting into the frunk on my 98 (which is all mechanical). I thought the main cable had broken and set out to find the emergency cable in the passenger tire well. First problem, wheel lug key was in the frunk so I had to remove the fender liner with the tire in place. (Not easy). Couldn't find the emergency cable anywhere so I had my wife (who has much smaller hands) reach up alongside the headlight where she found a cable which was very short so I hooked it with an S hook and pulled real hard. It clearly wasn't gonna do anything! Figuring it was tangled I actually purchased an endoscope so that I could see what was going on and hopefully untangle it. After spending days on this I finally gave up and took it to a shop who determined the problem was the latch not the main cable and he was able to muscle open the lid while I pulled on the lever. Later inspection showed that the torsion spring in the latch itself had popped out of place so the latch was replaced. As soon as I got home I pulled the right headlight to reroute the cable and I found what you see in the photo - the end of the cable had been tucked into the headlight mount so there would be no chance of it ever working!http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1610308772.jpg