Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2021, 09:17 AM   #1

Question about 986 Boxster Door Latch/actuator/lock

Hey all, First post here, longtime car forum user.

I have a new-to-me Spec Boxster race car. The car is a 1997. Both of the door latches are very stiff and the driver's is not working. I tried removing and cleaning/lubricating it but the plastic on the striker is swollen and cracked so that is what causes it to jam.

So the main question:
It looks like there is a VW/Audi latch that can be adapted to work. Since the car is a gutted race car there are no windows, door panels, nor any electronics connected to the door latches anymore (and never will be). It seems like most of the issues I read about using the VW actuators has to do w/ the electronic microswitches and window drop, however in my situation that does not matter at all.

Since this is no issue for me can someone tell me what P/N's I can order that will work? I would also be open to a used latch such as from a 996 or 997 if those work too. It looks like the latches for a 1997 are 1997 only and over $450 new which I'd prefer not to spend on a race car.

TIA!

P Cars: 1997 Spec Boxster - SPB #94 / 2022 Macan GTS / 2018 Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo ---- Other cars: 2021 F-250 Diesel / 2019 Golf R
Gone: 2020 GT4, 2004 GT3, 2003 Carrera, 1982 911SC, 2005 Lotus Elise and lots of other non-Porsches.
PCA National DE Instructor #202106053
nickshu is offline   Reply With Quote