986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Anyone enjoy the Tail of the Dragon? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/7766-anyone-enjoy-tail-dragon.html)

Pilot2519j 10-15-2006 12:38 PM

Anyone enjoy the Tail of the Dragon?

European Magazine on this months issue has the test ride of the new 2007 Boxster featured. They drove the car in the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee. In conclusion they loved the car and the performance just keeping going up. The Dragon illustrates the differences between 997rear engined and 987 midengine. Has anyone from the Group gone there for the joy ride? 14 miles of turns 318 is what they mentioned on the article. I drove my car in Bear Mountain with the P-Club near West Point it is what these cars are made for. Hard driving, upshifting, downshifting and while having "grey poupon" ;)

Rail26 10-15-2006 01:29 PM

I went to school at West Point and remember the roads well, unfortunately it was in a Honda Accord. I really want to take my Box out there for my 10th, but driving it from El Paso does not seem appealing. That is the most beautiful part of the country, in my opinion.

MNBoxster 10-15-2006 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilot2519j
European Magazine on this months issue has the test ride of the new 2007 Boxster featured. They drove the car in the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee. In conclusion they loved the car and the performance just keeping going up. The Dragon illustrates the differences between 997rear engined and 987 midengine. Has anyone from the Group gone there for the joy ride? 14 miles of turns 318 is what they mentioned on the article. I drove my car in Bear Mountain with the P-Club near West Point it is what these cars are made for. Hard driving, upshifting, downshifting and while having "grey poupon" ;)

Hi,

I made 6 runs on the Dragon, but in my Esprit, not the Boxster. It is a great road so long as you plan the trip to stay away from the Harley, Miata, Healey, etc. drive events.

My other favorite drive is the Coast Road on Maui from Kihei , around the NW tip of the island and down to Hana. I did that in a Ferrari 355 Spider and a Miata. The Miata was actually more nimble and fun, but the 355 got waay more looks...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

NickCats 10-16-2006 05:55 AM

Did the tail last year on the bike.

What a great road ! Now I need to take a trip down there in the Box...

Definitely add it to your list of things to do in your lifetime.

Nick

RandallNeighbour 10-16-2006 10:07 AM

I am planning a road trip there from Houston next year. We should all meet up there!

May 5-6 are the days I plan to be there and be driving it. Who wants to meet me there?

NickCats 10-16-2006 11:06 AM

I think we need to get a caravan going from Chicago !

Me, racer_troy, sammy, bmussatti, chills, and bigislandboxster...

How cool would it be to see 3 black, a white, green, and a red boxster all cruising down I-65 together ?

Nick

Paul 10-16-2006 07:57 PM

I've been lucky enough to make three runs of the dragon in my Boxster, what a blast!!!

If this road doesn't put a smile on your face, sell your Porsche!!!!!

Yes I shifted at or near redline and over steered around many corners (just the way Porsche intended!!)

Paul 10-17-2006 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickCats

How cool would it be to see 3 black, a white, green, and a red boxster all cruising down I-65 together ?

Nick

I think a white Boxster should join in.....when are we going?

St. Louis Boxster 10-18-2006 03:18 AM

Add a seal gray from St. Louis. We really should make plans. I drove the road to Hana as well in Maui, what a blast. The scenery was spectacular.

Go Cardinals !!!

NickCats 10-18-2006 06:38 AM

Paul / St Louis,

You guys set something up, and I'll be there...

Nick

RandallNeighbour 10-18-2006 07:39 AM

I believe we can officially say "Game ON!" :dance:

I will work on a time and place for us to meet upon arrival and work on lodging options as well.

This is gonna be fun. We'll all be worn out from a long drive to get there, but it will be worth it!

Brucelee 10-18-2006 08:40 AM

BTW-In the latest Panorama, I guy reviewed the 2007 Boxster S. This guy as a self described "911" guy and dutifully full of himself (are all these guys in Pamorama like this or what?).

Anyway, in his reserved way, he essentially said that the New Box S was quicker and better handled than the famous 911 (ie the standard bearer).

Go figure?

Sammy 10-18-2006 08:45 AM

Sign me up! :)

Jump 10-18-2006 08:50 AM

Having just moved to Nashville, I'd have to consider it too!

John Y 10-18-2006 10:56 AM

Did 3 runs in my TT Roadster last year during TT-East while we were down in Chattanooga; it is well worth the trip from wherever you are, and there are few roads int he US that can come even close to matching the experience.

insite 10-18-2006 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I am planning a road trip there from Houston next year. We should all meet up there!

May 5-6 are the days I plan to be there and be driving it. Who wants to meet me there?

i'm down; cinqo de mayo is my b-day. can't think of a better way to spend the day.

Mantis 10-18-2006 03:42 PM

Just did it 3 weeks ago for the first time and I am certainly going again! Recommend Blue Waters Mountain Lodge (bed and breakfast) for accomodations; was very nice, good food and people, ask for the lake view!!

bmussatti 10-18-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickCats

Nick

Great idea! I would have interest!!

Paul 10-18-2006 07:45 PM

We stayed here last time, it's near the beginning of the tail. It's a little rustic and rundown, but overall a good experience.

http://www.fontanavillage.com/

http://fontanavillage.com/fontanavillage_accommodations.html

Paul 10-18-2006 07:51 PM

BTW you don't want to go near the tail on the weekends, too much traffic and police.

I ran it on a Monday and Tuesday in August, almost had the road to myself.