Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
Porschephile

Fister Exhaust Fitment

Love this exhaust. I installed myself and the clearance is a little tight between the lower part of the rear bumper cover and the tubes that Darin welds onto the exhaust. Some photos below. Anyone else install this themselves? It's not the end of the world but its rubbing the chrome finish off the exhaust. Before I tear this whole thing apart I was wondering if someone has experienced this and if I'm better off trying to move the bumper cover or the entire exhaust unit itself.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #2

Definitely consult with Darin directly. He's all about his customer service.
Spyder_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:49 AM   #3
Porschephile

Already tried that. I messaged him directly but I have not heard back yet. Facebook messenger. I could see he read my message.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:27 AM   #4

I would loosen up the U pipe clamps and try to push the muffler a little bit more forward . You will be pivoting the muffler on the top mount so it's a game of how much forward for clearance vs the tips starting to point downward .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:37 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomikaze View Post
Already tried that. I messaged him directly but I have not heard back yet. Facebook messenger. I could see he read my message.
Connect with me if you haven't heard from him by Wednesday. You'll be hearing from him by Friday.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I would loosen up the U pipe clamps and try to push the muffler a little bit more forward . You will be pivoting the muffler on the top mount so it's a game of how much forward for clearance vs the tips starting to point downward .
I think this will work, this should lower the tips as well as give more clearance to the extra pipes. I have this muffler as well but it is on a 2000 S so the rear bumper is a little different in style. Your tips are pretty high (although maybe mine are too low? but this is how I recall the muffler before I sent it off.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #7

I have my tips set low as well; aesthetically it seems to work with the diagonal cut tips. It's on a first generation euro bumper cover though. Recall that the first generation PSE had bypass pipes in the region of your second generation bumper cover "diffuser vents". IIRC the second gen PSE did not have the bypass pipes and the bumper cover did not allow for them. Please correct me if I am wrong. So you will naturally have proximity isssues that will have to be adjusted for.

That said I have I rubbing issues with the muffler going in and out over the years as pictured. It is the nature of the beast.

The sound of the Fister cannot be beat so it's worth it.

Last edited by jaykay; 04-20-2020 at 11:24 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #8

Hello...where does this exhaust / Muffler come from.?? Thanks Frank
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
Porschephile

Fister Motorsports. You ship Darin your stock exhaust and he modifies it. Sounds like the PSE but better. A must do mod IMHO
Old 04-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #10
Porschephile

This makes me second guess ceramachrome. I like the satin black look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I have my tips set low as well; aesthetically it seems to work with the diagonal cut tips. It's on a first generation euro bumper cover though. Recall that the first generation PSE had bypass pipes in the region of your second generation bumper cover "diffuser vents". IIRC the second gen PSE did not have the bypass pipes and the bumper cover did not allow for them. Please correct me if I am wrong. So you will naturally have proximity isssues that will have to be adjusted for.

That said I have I rubbing issues with the muffler going in and out over the years as pictured. It is the nature of the beast.

The sound of the Fister cannot be beat so it's worth it.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Fister Motorsports. You ship Darin your stock exhaust and he modifies it. Sounds like the PSE but better. A must do mod IMHO
It's one of my favorite 986 mods

I got the titanium ceramic on mine.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:42 PM   #12

Quote:
This makes me second guess ceramachrome. I like the satin black look.
Thanks man....I still like it. It's on a black car though so it works. I wanted something different than stock. It was a gamble but ended up looking good. The chrome will probably look better on a silver or grey car.
Darin had never done one in black. This was the first one. There was 993 stuff done but that is all hidden
Old 04-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #13
Porschephile

Adjusting the exhaust up or down isn't working. I loosened everything up. It has a lot more 'travel' in it now but when I tighten everything back up it's right back in the same place. This is a rabbit hole. Guess I need to try the bumper cover.