Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2020, 06:39 PM   #1

Key Fob Programming

Howdy,

The micro switches on my key head have fallen off. I can wilder but no longer have the eyesight to do so. I’m considering buying a new key head from Suncoast. In my owner’s manual there’s a code for the radio, and some six digit numbers hand written on a piece of paper inside. Is the key head code the same as radio? How many digits?

I’ve read around and heard that M synching head is just a matter of putting key in ignition and turning it the same number of times as code in a specific process. Is this true? If not, how much will this cost me to do at an Indy?

Thanks,

-J

Gone to IMS heaven, 2001 Lapis blue over blue.

Last edited by Junkley; 04-17-2020 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Changed fob to head. Oops.
Junkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #2

The 9x6 key fob code car looks like this: https://986fans.de/#bild012
Old 04-17-2020, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
The 9x6 key fob code car looks like this: https://986fans.de/#bild012
This would be helpful if I was well versed in German.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkley View Post
This would be helpful if I was well versed in German.
Junkley, You don't need to know German. Google knows it well and can translate most of the page for you.
Click this for the translated page:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2F986fans.de%2F%23bild012&sandbox=1
Old 04-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkley View Post
Howdy,

The micro switches on my key head have fallen off. I can wilder but no longer have the eyesight to do so. I’m considering buying a new key head from Suncoast. In my owner’s manual there’s a code for the radio, and some six digit numbers hand written on a piece of paper inside. Is the key head code the same as radio? How many digits?

I’ve read around and heard that M synching head is just a matter of putting key in ignition and turning it the same number of times as code in a specific process. Is this true? If not, how much will this cost me to do at an Indy?

Thanks,

-J
No to both. The car is programmed to accept the key, which should come with a white paper tag that has a long number on it. This tag is CRITICAL to programming the car. All of the programming must be done with a Porsche factory tool, the PIWIS.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #6

Wow! So unless I read it wrong, the translated link seems to indicate that the key code CAN be somehow extracted from the key. If this is possible, then all those worthless used keys for sale CAN actually be used! Did I understand this correctly?
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Wow! So unless I read it wrong, the translated link seems to indicate that the key code CAN be somehow extracted from the key. If this is possible, then all those worthless used keys for sale CAN actually be used! Did I understand this correctly?
I am unaware of that ever having been done, as anyone that has lost the little white tag that came with a new key was not able to get the car programmed and ended up purchasing another key.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
No, you've got this wrong. The code can be be extracted, but not from the key.

And the link was intended to directly go to the picture that shows the code card, which Junkley was asking for.

Regards from Germany,
Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 04-19-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #9

Which number on the card is the key code?
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2020, 09:38 AM   #10

The one partially obscured at the bottom. You will also need the vehicle's IPAS code as well.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 04-21-2020 at 09:48 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The one partially obscured at the bottom. You will also need the vehicle's IPAS code as well.
Thank you kindly!