986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Headlight refresh snafu (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/77417-headlight-refresh-snafu.html)

jcp 03-21-2020 04:53 PM

Headlight refresh snafu

"99 Base Boxster. I sanded and polished the headlight lens several days ago and today sprayed them with Meguiars ultraviolet protector. I must have not cleaned them sufficiently because I ended up with several fisheyes. I used alcohol as a cleaner. Is there a better solvent to use? Any help appreciated.

Qingdao 03-21-2020 05:33 PM

Wetsand and polish it back down and try again...

Are you sure the headlights weren't already coated with clear coat?

jcp 03-21-2020 05:45 PM

The original clear coat was badly chipped on both lights so I completely removed it by sanding. It’s easy to see when you get it all off.
So alcohol is the proper solvent to clean the freshly polished surface to prepare for clear coat?

Qingdao 03-21-2020 06:07 PM

I've never used the Meguires protectant, but I'm thinking it might be reacting in some way to the existing clear on the lenses.

I've always just cut plastic headlights down with 800 or 1000 grit then gave them a shot of 2k clear.

But if you are having issues with fisheye cut just the fisheyes down and polish and re-coat. If the meguires is anything like paint a re-coat like this should reduce the fisheye.

Does the meguiers can say anything about humidity or temperature?

Just thinking out loud here. :D

jcp 03-21-2020 06:40 PM

Unfortunately Meguires doesn't mention any condition requirements. After the lights cure for a few days, I'll re-sand and try again. I appreciate your quick response.
What is '2k clear'?

Qingdao 03-21-2020 06:47 PM

Two part high solids urethane clear coat. The stuff you paint cars with. ;)

78F350 03-21-2020 07:09 PM

For a good clear coat without having your own spray equipment, some guys have taken their headlights to a body shop and had them sprayed for fairly cheap. Not that hard for the paint guys to do when they are finishing up a car.

jcp 03-21-2020 07:10 PM

Ah, I see. Sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the tip guys.

Qingdao 03-21-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 613798)
For a good clear coat without having your own spray equipment, some guys have taken their headlights to a body shop and had them sprayed for fairly cheap. Not that hard for the paint guys to do when they are finishing up a car.

I think they sell it in a rattle can. Might take two cans though.

Auto body shops will probably deliver the highest quality spray.

PaulE 03-22-2020 04:13 PM

Eastwood makes a 2K Clearcoat in a spray can. Once the button is pushed to activate it, it has to be used. It is available from Eastwood and on Amazon.

itsnotanova 03-23-2020 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulE (Post 613842)
Eastwood makes a 2K Clearcoat in a spray can. Once the button is pushed to activate it, it has to be used. It is available from Eastwood and on Amazon.

That's the only rattle can I would recommend on a vehicle you care about. Claer coat paints you buy from your local store don't have a hardner in them and will get dull with sun exposure. Any clear you spray on headlights needs to be put on with very very light coats at first. You also need the coats to dry before laying on another coat. Putting a clear coat on headlights is not a rush job.

PaulE 03-23-2020 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 613856)
That's the only rattle can I would recommend on a vehicle you care about. Claer coat paints you buy from your local store don't have a hardner in them and will get dull with sun exposure. Any clear you spray on headlights needs to be put on with very very light coats at first. You also need the coats to dry before laying on another coat. Putting a clear coat on headlights is not a rush job.

Which is why I'm waiting for the weather to warm up before I finish polishing these and using my can of the Eastwood stuff! I sure hope this picture doesn't come out upside down!

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1584976667.jpg

Qingdao 03-23-2020 07:53 AM

Prep the lenses with 1000 grit before you spray the clear on. Don't spray a polished surface. ;)

jcp 03-23-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 613856)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qingdao (Post 613867)
Prep the lenses with 1000 grit before you spray the clear on. Don't spray a polished surface. ;)

This is good info!!
Thanks guys!!

Burg Boxster 03-23-2020 01:22 PM

Fisheyes are sign of surface contamination.

Most likely from oils of your fingers or silicone found in most consumer car detailing products like tire sling, quick detailers, armor all, etc. Thus most body shops abhor it and use silicone free products... unless they have separate facilities where they can keep paint areas silicone sterile.

Anywho... as last prep item before spray... wipe down surfaces ready to accept paint with a paint prep-solvent (3m and PPG make great ones) or denatured alcohol at the least.

Likewise, use a real clear coat not all in one box solution. Otherwise, do the prep work and have local body shop spray clear for you.

Good luck :)

jcp 03-23-2020 02:43 PM

I am assuming Eastwood EW2K (item 14148Z) clear gloss is correct?

PaulE 03-23-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 613884)
Fisheyes are sign of surface contamination.

Most likely from oils of your fingers or silicone found in most consumer car detailing products like tire sling, quick detailers, armor all, etc. Thus most body shops abhor it and use silicone free products... unless they have separate facilities where they can keep paint areas silicone sterile.

Anywho... as last prep item before spray... wipe down surfaces ready to accept paint with a paint prep-solvent (3m and PPG make great ones) or denatured alcohol at the least.

Likewise, use a real clear coat not all in one box solution. Otherwise, do the prep work and have local body shop spray clear for you.

Good luck :)

Are those paint prep-solvents safe for the polycarbonate lenses? I ask because most times when I use a solvent on something plastic, it ends in disaster for the plastic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcp (Post 613891)
I am assuming Eastwood EW2K (item 14148Z) clear gloss is correct?

That is the one I purchased.