986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   19" snow tire suggestions? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/77374-19-snow-tire-suggestions.html)

imhighlander 03-14-2020 06:36 PM

19" snow tire suggestions?

Howdy. I have two sets of 19" Lobster Claws: one is shod in Conti Extreme Contact tires for 2.5 seasons, and I'm looking for recommendations for snows for the other 1.5 seasons. My current snow setup is on 18" Carrera lightweight wheels but want to run 19" lobsters year round.

I've had a hard time finding 19" Blizzaks or Hakkepelitas (sp?) but am open to options.

If they just aren't available, I'll be offloading a set of lobsters.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anker 03-15-2020 04:52 AM

You are nuts to use 19s for snow tires. The first time you hit a pot home your teeth are going to rattle out of your jaw. For snow tires you want to go narrow and small diameter on the rims. Narrow because it increases the down force in the patch and small diameter because it increases the width of the sidewall and helps absorb potholes.

JayG 03-15-2020 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anker (Post 613389)
You are nuts to use 19s for snow tires. The first time you hit a pot home your teeth are going to rattle out of your jaw. For snow tires you want to go narrow and small diameter on the rims. Narrow because it increases the down force in the patch and small diameter because it increases the width of the sidewall and helps absorb potholes.

You got that right!

BTW, my sister and nephew own The Bagel in Stow. Stop by and tel them hi from me :cheers:

BoxMann 03-18-2020 07:30 AM

What Anker said !

Anker 03-18-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 613395)
You got that right!

BTW, my sister and nephew own The Bagel in Stow. Stop by and tel them hi from me :cheers:

Will do, Jay!

Thanks/Anker

imhighlander 03-29-2020 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anker (Post 613389)

I run 19s already and don't mind the ride at all. I did a full suspension refresh last summer (truly EVERYTHING with Porsche M030 ROW parts) and the ride is just fine. Current tires are Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

I have another set of 19" claws and after a bit of research have pretty much settled on Michelin Pilot Alpin tires next autumn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk