Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #1

Transmission Noise

Noticed another noise recently when exiting the car. Rotational noise. In neutral with clutch pedal out: noise. In neutral with clutch pedal in: no noise. I suspect a dry throwout bearing. Car shifts without issue and plenty of remaining travel in the clutch.

I believe I know the answer but I have to ask. Any way to lubricate the throwout bearing without removing the transmission? Boxster S with 69,700 miles on original clutch.

alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:56 PM   #2
Who's askin'?

No. no way to lube it.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
Artist, 986S tinkerer

If the problem is what you suspect... (analysis without visual inspection is not my strong point )
then you have to pull the transmission. It's just work, not rocket science. You might watch my video on YouTube to see how many times I pulled the transmission to discover my addle-brained mistake!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfqpCgDGJhk&t=3s
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alynch View Post
Noticed another noise recently when exiting the car. Rotational noise. In neutral with clutch pedal out: noise. In neutral with clutch pedal in: no noise. I suspect a dry throwout bearing. Car shifts without issue and plenty of remaining travel in the clutch.

I believe I know the answer but I have to ask. Any way to lubricate the throwout bearing without removing the transmission? Boxster S with 69,700 miles on original clutch.
The throwout bearing isn't engaged with the clutch out. Your noise is probable the transmission input shaft turning, may be normal or could be a noisy bearing.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
The throwout bearing isn't engaged with the clutch out. Your noise is probable the transmission input shaft turning, may be normal or could be a noisy bearing.
Thanks. You’re absolutely right. I had it backwards. Looks like I’ll be watching NewArt’s YouTube video ....
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:37 AM   #6

I've been having the same issue, I'm pretty sure it's the input bearing, as stated.
I just don't feel like dropping the trans yet, as I plan on doing a lot of work while it is (IMSB, RMS, clutch).
There's probably some other component (internal to the transmission) that would be good to replace while I'm in there, but I haven't done enough research.

Clutch-out-in-neutral noise is pretty indicative of input bearing noise, though.

'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote