986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Bent Rod - To Replace Motor or Not (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/77359-bent-rod-replace-motor-not.html)

gtab55 03-12-2020 06:56 PM

Bent Rod - To Replace Motor or Not

Hey all,

New member here, longtime Rennlist lurker and discovered this site today.

I have a 2000 S 6sp with 109k miles and a motor that bent a rod. Long story short, my mechanic identified the AOS having gone out and then discovered upon take down and plugs and various other components something was amiss. He thinks it's a rod but says they've tried everything and the engine does not want to come back. So,

We found a 22k mile 3.2 engine for sale. He is quoting me a very reasonable price to install (I don't want to post publicly) and I'm unsure whether to go for it.

My main question is, should I sell it as a roller or go ahead with an unknown engine? Financially as a 20 year old car, I'm aware this is a lose-lose situation, but these cars aren't for frugal people :D

BYprodriver 03-12-2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtab55 (Post 613216)
Hey all,

New member here, longtime Rennlist lurker and discovered this site today.

I have a 2000 S 6sp with 109k miles and a motor that bent a rod. Long story short, my mechanic identified the AOS having gone out and then discovered upon take down and plugs and various other components something was amiss. He thinks it's a rod but says they've tried everything and the engine does not want to come back. So,

We found a 22k mile 3.2 engine for sale. He is quoting me a very reasonable price to install (I don't want to post publicly) and I'm unsure whether to go for it.

My main question is, should I sell it as a roller or go ahead with an unknown engine? Financially as a 20 year old car, I'm aware this is a lose-lose situation, but these cars aren't for frugal people :D

There is a rebuilt 2001 engine in the "for sale" thread.

thstone 03-12-2020 08:25 PM

A roller never brings much value - they are often worth more in parts than as a complete car.

But it really depends on the cost of replacing the engine (engine + labor) and how badly you want to keep the car.

With that being said, with a 22K mile engine, the value of the car will soar as compared to selling it as a roller so if you can afford it, I'd install the replacement engine, drive it for as long as you want, then sell it (and it will still likely be a "low mileage engine" at that time).

Its sad but the general value of a Boxster is most highly correlated to the perceived remaining life in the engine.

78F350 03-12-2020 08:43 PM

It depends on the overall condition of your car and the cost of the repair. In most cases that I've seen posted online, the total repair cost + roller value is more than or equal to the cost of buying another similar Boxster S.
The biggest difference may be that you know your car and have maintained it. A replacement car of 'equal value' may have a lot of unknown issues lurking or deferred maintenance.