986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Oil in engine compartment (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/77255-oil-engine-compartment.html)

traveno 02-23-2020 10:10 PM

Oil in engine compartment

I opened up the engine compartment today to be greeted by a pretty dusty engine. One of the intake tubes is nice and saturated with oil. Any ideas on why this is?

https://i.imgur.com/gU9APdl.jpg?1

Starter986 02-24-2020 02:34 AM

No, but get that nicely cleaned up so you'll have a baseline for next time. Be careful with the hoses and plastic lines... as they can become brittle over time and... you don't want them breaking.

Be patient... cleaning one piece at a time. Patience.

traveno 02-24-2020 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 612325)
No, but get that nicely cleaned up so you'll have a baseline for next time. Be careful with the hoses and plastic lines... as they can become brittle over time and... you don't want them breaking.

Be patient... cleaning one piece at a time. Patience.

Started tackling it piece by piece last night. Called it a night once it got dark, but it’s starting to look better. Lots of sand in there, the previous owner lived in Arizona.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...587af144f9.jpg

Starter986 02-24-2020 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traveno (Post 612333)
Started tackling it piece by piece last night. Called it a night once it got dark, but it’s starting to look better. Lots of sand in there, the previous owner lived in Arizona.

That is looking great! :cheers:

TRP 02-24-2020 08:38 AM

WOW. Quite the transformation there. Keep after it.

Ted

BYprodriver 02-24-2020 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traveno (Post 612323)
I opened up the engine compartment today to be greeted by a pretty dusty engine. One of the intake tubes is nice and saturated with oil. Any ideas on why this is?

https://i.imgur.com/gU9APdl.jpg?1

Loose fitting oil filler tube is the usual cause.

Geof3 02-24-2020 07:18 PM

You can hose the engine down from the top as well to really clean it. Make sure to cover the alt etc, and of course protect your interior from the overspray. A clean engine is not only a nice looking engine, but it will run cooler. Even though these engines are "water cooled" they get significant cooling from air flow. The cleaner the better. Also, there are several nooks and crannies on top of the engine so make sure you dry everything as much aa possible. An air compressor is your friend here... wear eye protection... thank me later.

traveno 02-24-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof3 (Post 612368)
You can hose the engine down from the top as well to really clean it. Make sure to cover the alt etc, and of course protect your interior from the overspray. A clean engine is not only a nice looking engine, but it will run cooler. Even though these engines are "water cooled" they get significant cooling from air flow. The cleaner the better. Also, there are several nooks and crannies on top of the engine so make sure you dry everything as much aa possible. An air compressor is your friend here... wear eye protection... thank me later.

I might just do that. My pops showed me his “WD40 detail” a whiles ago so I figured I’d try it here. It’s giving good results so far, as you can see. I’ll give it a more permanent solution down the road.

husker boxster 02-25-2020 04:57 AM

While you're in there, don't forget to check your power steering fluid level.

And don't think it's been mentioned - don't use high pressure when washing your engine. Lot's of issues can arise when you do.

traveno 02-25-2020 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 612384)
While you're in there, don't forget to check your power steering fluid level.

And don't think it's been mentioned - don't use high pressure when washing your engine. Lot's of issues can arise when you do.

Checked it the other night, there’s some in there, but it’s not even reaching the bottom of the dip stick. Thanks for the heads up.

por356c 02-25-2020 11:54 AM

Oil in engine compartment

Absolutely beautiful job. Wow - what a transformation! I just got an 04 SE last fall and this project is on my list when I get her out of storage.

But tell us please, what was the cause of the oil leak?

Fiddlebog 02-25-2020 02:01 PM

If you struggle to find the source, you could try throwing some UV dye in the crank case, then checking before it gets everywhere so you can trace the source.
Obviously, you would want to try to identify the kind of oil it is before adding dye.

traveno 02-25-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by por356c (Post 612406)
Absolutely beautiful job. Wow - what a transformation! I just got an 04 SE last fall and this project is on my list when I get her out of storage.

But tell us please, what was the cause of the oil leak?

I'm flattered haha. I only cleaned what I could reach with a shop towel! It does look good though. I'm gonna get around all the nooks and crannies this weekend. I haven't found the cause yet, but I've cleaned up the oil nicely so finding the source should be easy if it continues to leak.

Also, what headlight is on your car in your profile picture? Looks nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddlebog (Post 612415)
If you struggle to find the source, you could try throwing some UV dye in the crank case, then checking before it gets everywhere so you can trace the source.
Obviously, you would want to try to identify the kind of oil it is before adding dye.

Interesting. I'll put that on my list of things to try.

por356c 02-26-2020 05:43 AM

I'm flattered haha. I only cleaned what I could reach with a shop towel! It does look good though. I'm gotta get around all the nooks and crannies this weekend. I haven't found the cause yet, but I've cleaned up the oil nicely so finding the source should be easy if it continues to leak.

Also, what headlight is on your car in your profile picture? Looks nice.

I am lucky enough to have an 04 Silver Anniversary Special Edition and it comes standard with many items that are usually options. What you see are the factory Litronic Headlamps with auto leveling and cleaning (washing).