986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Superbowl ad looks like fun (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/77097-superbowl-ad-looks-like-fun.html)

Gjohn3707 01-31-2020 06:18 AM

Superbowl ad looks like fun

https://youtu.be/537EwXTdipM

Troy.Boxster 01-31-2020 06:32 AM

Nice! It does look like fun... and all those cars in the museum are maintained in running condition, so this could, um, you know, really happen. :-)

BRAN 01-31-2020 06:48 AM

Dips on the 917! ;)

piper6909 01-31-2020 10:28 AM

That was great! I wanna work there! Of Course the giveaway was when they slowed down for the cops.

TRP 01-31-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAN (Post 610913)
Dips on the 917! ;)

"Dibs"... not dips.

dibs - /dibz/

noun INFORMAL•DATED
plural noun: dibs

Meaning - money.

Phrases
have first dibs on — have the first right to or choice of.
"Bran got first dibs the Porsche 917..."

If you hit dips in the 917 you'd shatter your teeth. :cheers:

husker boxster 02-01-2020 07:06 AM

I saw this on Motor Trend TV last night. Takes a lot of work to create a 2:30 commercial.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qXL1gbI3BXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dghii 02-01-2020 08:23 AM

Gotta say it looked to be one of the goofiest commercials I've ever seen. It does nothing to represent the brand. Lets go out and drift!
BTW . Why on earth did Porsche add a Turbo badge to their new electric vehicle?
Dumb.

maytag 02-01-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 610987)
Gotta say it looked to be one of the goofiest commercials I've ever seen. It does nothing to represent the brand. Lets go out and drift!
Dumb.

Aw, c'mon man, live a little! Haha
I think what it was trying to represent (and in my opinion did well at) was that A) Porsche's are FUN, and B) they're meant to be driven.

Regardless if we think "drifting" is dumb, or street racing, or any other nit-picking we could do, it's still fun.

And, I might add, it's strange that in days gone by, we all thought burnouts around a corner were awesome, and car- chase scenes were rated on a scale of 1 to "bullet", and we enjoyed hooliganism. But now.... NOW we live in a world where people are easily offended and their social justice response is involuntary.

Have you ever seen the cult film "rendezvous? A Ferrari, racing across early morning Paris...
Don't. Don't see it. You'll be highly offended and think it's dumb. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

husker boxster 02-01-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Dumb.

It's just a model designation. Various Taycan models get names depending on how much "juice" or "hp" the battery generates. There is no actual turbo. Porsche probably did it since it follows their gas engined nomenclature and Porschephiles will understand where the model fits in the pecking order.

piper6909 02-01-2020 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 610988)
Aw, c'mon man, live a little! Haha
I think what it was trying to represent (and in my opinion did well at) was that A) Porsche's are FUN, and B) they're meant to be driven.

Regardless if we think "drifting" is dumb, or street racing, or any other nit-picking we could do, it's still fun.

And, I might add, it's strange that in days gone by, we all thought burnouts around a corner were awesome, and car- chase scenes were rated on a scale of 1 to "bullet", and we enjoyed hooliganism. But now.... NOW we live in a world where people are easily offended and their social justice response is involuntary.

Have you ever seen the cult film "rendezvous? A Ferrari, racing across early morning Paris...
Don't. Don't see it. You'll be highly offended and think it's dumb. ;-)

Everybody's entitled to their own opinion. For me? Burnouts: Dumb. Drifting: Mad skills and cool.

I think dghii was referring to the turbo badge on an electric car when he called it dumb, and he didn't say anything about being offended.

There's a lot of people that are easily offended, even on here. But I don't think it's a new thing. The only thing new is social media which allows everyone to express their opinions/hatred/fake outrage, etc. from the comfort of their couch (or throne, haha!) and a veil of anonymity.

maytag 02-01-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 610996)
Everybody's entitled to their own opinion. For me? Burnouts: Dumb. Drifting: Mad skills and cool.

I think dghii was referring to the turbo badge on an electric car when he called it dumb, and he didn't say anything about being offended.

There's a lot of people that are easily offended, even on here. But I don't think it's a new thing. The only thing new is social media which allows everyone to express their opinions/hatred/fake outrage, etc. from the comfort of their couch (or throne, haha!) and a veil of anonymity.

Cha!
Agreed

Gjohn3707 02-01-2020 08:27 PM

I can't remember the last time I saw Porsche in a superbowl ad. A lot of dollars spent, seen by many people, and an electric Porsche. Could be a winning formula.

BRAN 02-02-2020 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRP (Post 610939)
"Dibs"... not dips.

dibs - /dibz/

noun INFORMAL•DATED
plural noun: dibs

Meaning - money.

Phrases
have first dibs on — have the first right to or choice of.
"Bran got first dibs the Porsche 917..."

If you hit dips in the 917 you'd shatter your teeth. :cheers:

:cheers:
Thank you for your time and effort, TRP. Much appreciated, I mean it.
Happens to me all the time, my fav is limp and limb.:D
Please don't waste your time on capital letter correction, this is not related to my brain but to whatever darn Auto correction hacks my sentences on the fly.

Everybody, please feel free to correct my spelling AND my Grammar (there you go, Auto capital letter, don't know why).:cheers:

husker boxster 02-02-2020 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gjohn3707 (Post 611015)
I can't remember the last time I saw Porsche in a superbowl ad. A lot of dollars spent, seen by many people, and an electric Porsche. Could be a winning formula.

Hopefully so. The only thing I wonder is you go 2:20 or 2:25 to get to the tag line at the end, pulling all the fireworks you've seen to an electric Porsche stealing your heart.

Might end up like most of the SB commercials where on Monday you remember the commercial but not the product.

piper6909 02-02-2020 05:19 PM

They cut some scenes out! Made it kind of meh.

jmitro 02-03-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Dumb.

not to mention dubbing in a mechanical engine revving for an ELECTRIC vehicle! stupid :rolleyes:

dghii 02-04-2020 07:52 AM

I wasn’t offended! Just thought the commercial missed the mark in representing the brand.
Now turbo designation...I’m sorry, it’s just stupid. I’d understand an ‘S’ or ‘GTS’.
Could be worse, could have called it a Hemi.

DoninDel 02-04-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Dumb.

Agree on turbo badge.
Reminds me how Johnny Carson used to come on wearing a hunting cap with flaps as Fred R Turbo in comedy skits.
D U M B.
But the ad was cool.

Finnegan 02-05-2020 10:42 AM

This reminds me of the old PC game, Need For Speed, Porsche edition. What a great game! Even back then I preferred the Boxster.