Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2006, 05:43 AM   #1

will 18X8 and 18x10 5x130 wheels fit an 01?

thinking of buying these and need to know if they'll fit.

thanks (#1 post)

bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:03 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell
thinking of buying these and need to know if they'll fit.

thanks (#1 post)

Assuming the offset is correct, yes they will fit just fine.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:20 AM   #3

bagwell, I just bought a set of these aftermarket Carrera light rims from www.wheeldynamics.com and the listing has the correct offset of 50 for the front and 47 for the rears... not easy to find, I assure you!

I paid $2150 including shipping for the four wheels and Michelin PS2's mounted and road-force balanced. I decided to buy my tires from him regardless of price because of the whole hassle factor of buying them elsewhere, plus the concerns about scratching the rims while putting on the tires. This way, the seller puts the tires on the rims and he has to insure they balance out right and don't get scratched or I get my money back.

BTW, welcome to the site. I live just south of you in the nicer part of Texas called Houston

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 10-12-2006 at 10:03 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #4

Me Too - do I need to reallign my wheels?

I also just got a set of the 18" Carrera Wheels like randelneighbor for my 2000 2.7L Boxster. I got the cheaper Falken 512 tires on the wheels. The folks at Wheel Dynamics were very helpful and answered all of my neophite questions.

I understand that because there iare no offset issues with these wheels all I have to do it take off my 17" wheels and bolt on the 18" wheels and that I do not have to reallign my car, is that the case, thanks,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
I also just got a set of the 18" Carrera Wheels like randelneighbor for my 2000 2.7L Boxster. I got the cheaper Falken 512 tires on the wheels. The folks at Wheel Dynamics were very helpful and answered all of my neophite questions.

I understand that because there iare no offset issues with these wheels all I have to do it take off my 17" wheels and bolt on the 18" wheels and that I do not have to reallign my car, is that the case, thanks,

Ed

Hi,

I don't know where you got your information, but that is not correct. Anytime you have a new set of Tires, let alone wheels, you need to have them dynamically balanced. If you don't, shimmys and vibrations are sure to pop up.

Don't trust a Wheel/Tire seller to do it right. They usually don't and if they do it's usually just dumb luck. Because rarely do they have the proper machine to do the job - a Hunter 97XX machine.

This will make sure the wheels/tires are as close to round as possible and get the balance right. Also, non-authorized retailers often get poorer quality tires than authorized centers. These are often found to be beyond the out-of-round spec for the tire and if you don't check it now, you'll have no recourse with the retailer later.

You can try to get by and maybe not even notice slight vibrations, although on the Boxster, I suspect the differences won't be that subtle. But several thousand miles later, you're likely to see uneven wear to the tires and any small vibrations when new are bound to be amplified. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I don't know where you got your information, but that is not correct. Anytime you have a new set of Tires, let alone wheels, you need to have them dynamically balanced. If you don't, shimmys and vibrations are sure to pop up.

Don't trust a Wheel/Tire seller to do it right. They usually don't and if they do it's usually just dumb luck. Because rarely do they have the proper machine to do the job - a Hunter 97XX machine.

This will make sure the wheels/tires are as close to round as possible and get the balance right. Also, non-authorized retailers often get poorer quality tires than authorized centers. These are often found to be beyond the out-of-round spec for the tire and if you don't check it now, you'll have no recourse with the retailer later.

You can try to get by and maybe not even notice slight vibrations, although on the Boxster, I suspect the differences won't be that subtle. But several thousand miles later, you're likely to see uneven wear to the tires and any small vibrations when new are bound to be amplified. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
I completely agree about the balancing and everything you just said, but isn't the question about alignment??? Provided the dimensions of the wheel/tire combined with the offset match within reason of the OEM specs there should be no reason for an alignment in going from 17" to 18" wheel/tire combos.

Absolutely YES, you need dynamic balancing anytime you mount tires!!!
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
KronixSpeed

hmmm so then i can put my 17s back on the car for storage instead of having to lift the car up through the winter. n in the summer i can put my 19s right back on and no issues. this is what i am thinking to do. leave the car on my old worn out tires n rims for storage.

i didn't realize until i read this post, about alignment when putting bigger rims / smaller rims......
Old 10-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #8

Jim makes a very good point here and he gives good advice that I will certainly follow now that he's articulated it so well...

1. I will get the new tires road-forced balanced on a Hunter machine to insure it was done right. If not done right, it will be corrected at the tire shop doing the balancing and if the tire is out of round, it can be returned to wheel dynamics and replaced immediately.

2. It never hurts to have a car's alignment checked and modified when putting on new tires out of a simple comparison of costs. Alignment is under a hundred bucks. Each tire I bought was $200 or more... it's worth it to retain the rubber longer. The overall size is a half inch wider front and back, and a millimeter or two taller. This will probably change the alignment a little or a lot and I was planning on having that done anyway since I just got my control arm replaced.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:55 AM   #9

I'm all for having the alignment checked when you put new tires on the car simply as a maintenance item. The geometry of your suspension is based on so many things that a millimeter of new tread is not going to hurt anything.

Think of the days that you have that second half pound burrito from Taco Bell and the car sits lower because of it. Or when you go on that diet and lose 20 lbs? Or you take your wife on a road trip and both trunks are full? What about as your tires heat up and the pressure increases and raises the vehicle by a millimeter or two? What about the speed that you are going that provides extra downforce or lift?

If you want to time your alignments with new wheels/tires than go for it (this is what I will do with this car seeing that I'm dropping $1000 in tires); however, it is not required.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote