Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 04:07 AM   #1
rggav

Alpine ILX-207 Android auto for 986

Has anyone installed the new Alpine ILX-207 with a touch screen and Android Auto in their 986. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX207/Alpine-ILX-207.html Looks good but wondered if it obscured the temp controls. Pioneer also makes screen radios with different size screens that fit Din slot.

RG2000S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:29 AM   #2
TRP

Hello RG,

I have a 2000s. I looked long and hard at that head unit. Solid choice. I ended up going with a different unit. The Alpine is a 7" screen so you will have to move the HVAC unit down to the lower portion of the center stack. Under the pocket/above the bat wing. I think that would be the case for any double din sized screen. Regardless of the chassis.

Ted

Last edited by TRP; 01-12-2020 at 06:55 AM.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:15 AM   #3

I recently had a Pioneer double din 2550 installed. Has touch screen and Android Auto and Apple Car Play. I also added Sat radio. Very happy with it so far. I liked the Alpine units but they tend to be a bit pricey. The price of the Pioneer 2550 is nearly half of the Alpine 207.

The HVAC module gets moved down to the bottom, and either the pocket or CD storage goes right above it. I opted for the pocket. If you're in 3rd or 5th gear, the stick gets a tiny bit in the way of the HVAC module, but it's really not a big deal. You'll get used to it very quickly. You just gotta move your hand a little differently. Not a big deal.

Last edited by BoxMann; 01-12-2020 at 09:17 AM.
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #4

I installed the ILX-207 into my 2017 tundra. great head unit and love the control box to run all my light relays from the head unit. Thought about same for the Boxster but alpine make another head unit that pretty much looks the same and acts the same but with no cd it is about half as deep and with a amp designed to bolt to the back of the unit and still remain same size as a double din. I'll look in a few to get the model number but well worth it. Love the unit and amp.
SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:40 AM   #5
rggav

HVAC module move & Cigarette Plug

I didn't know you could move the HVAC module to the bottom. I thought the screen sat forward of the receiver and tilted. Looks like it sits flush into the two din slots. Have you guys also replaced the cigarette lighter plug with the American version. Current cigarette plug is too big for American stuff.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:38 PM   #6

Garage
I installed an Alpine ILXw650, not the ilx207. Not sure what the difference is, but both are double din, but I think the 650 is only half the depth of the 207.
I had to relocate the HVAC controls to the bottom and replaced the useless cd storage unit with a useable storage cubby for my glasses.

Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:59 AM   #7
TRP

Steelpuls,
Thank you for posting that photo. It helped me answer something which had been nagging at me. I wasn't sure if I should align the face flush with the sides of the bezel or align flush with the center of the slight rounded bezel face. I think I prefer aligning it as you have shown.

I hope to wrap up my install this weekend.

RG2000S - where are you with your stereo purchase/install?

Thanks again
Old 01-15-2020, 08:01 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
Steelpuls,
Thank you for posting that photo. It helped me answer something which had been nagging at me. I wasn't sure if I should align the face flush with the sides of the bezel or align flush with the center of the slight rounded bezel face. I think I prefer aligning it as you have shown.

I hope to wrap up my install this weekend.

RG2000S - where are you with your stereo purchase/install?

Thanks again

TRP,
The faceplate that came with the stereo did not fit very well on the head unit, it took some filing and sandpaper to set the depth and fitment. Also you'll need to massage the 986 faceplate as well to get it to your liking. I didn't like the way it sat in at first, so I made my son sand and file it until he liked the flush fitment at the top and bottom, the sides can't do much since they snap in to the dash. Take your time and don't file and sand too much at one time.

RG2000S, hope this helps your decision on which to get.

BTW, I got tips from this thread as well: New headunit with usb and mic integration
Old 01-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelepuls View Post
I installed an Alpine ILXw650, not the ilx207. Not sure what the difference is, but both are double din, but I think the 650 is only half the depth of the 207.
I had to relocate the HVAC controls to the bottom and replaced the useless cd storage unit with a useable storage cubby for my glasses.
That bezel has a huge top.
I would flip it so it’s on the bottom and install some flush mount USB ports or something...maybe keep it upright and add Boxster or Porsche script?
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #10
TRP

The double din radio bezel has an indexing key/slot on the sides to help it align / key in with the Porsche center console bezel. I don't think you can flip it. At least that's how mine is.

My radio fits in the bezel very well. I'm just not sure how far in or out to set the radio. I should start my own thread. Sorry 2000S!
Old 01-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
The double din radio bezel has an indexing key/slot on the sides to help it align / key in with the Porsche center console bezel. I don't think you can flip it. At least that's how mine is.
As if that would stop anyone
Old 01-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
That bezel has a huge top.
I would flip it so it’s on the bottom and install some flush mount USB ports or something...maybe keep it upright and add Boxster or Porsche script?
I like the idea of putting a Porsche script on the top. I might have to look into that. I don’t think it needs to be flipped, its fine with me.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:50 PM   #13
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
I like the idea of putting a Porsche script on the top. I might have to look into that. I don’t think it needs to be flipped, its fine with me.
No, of course not for the script. You’d want that up top.
USB ports on top wouldn't work, though, due to hanging cords. You’d want it flipped for that.
That was my point.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:21 PM   #14

Quote:
This is the unit I used. Since it only about 2 1/2" deep you can mount a Amp on the back of the radio and still be at Double Din Dimensions.
SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:02 AM   #15
rggav

nothing done yet

I have done nothing yet. Just planning for a future install.

Tags
android , apple , car stereo