986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Extended warranty (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/76932-extended-warranty.html)

Jeovanni223 01-01-2020 10:44 AM

Extended warranty

Any warranty companies out there worth the investment for a 01 Boxster S with 66k miles on it.

JFP in PA 01-01-2020 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeovanni223 (Post 609182)
Any warranty companies out there worth the investment for a 01 Boxster S with 66k miles on it.

Dammed few. Read and understand what you are getting before sending any cash. Most are not worth the paper they are written on.

maytag 01-01-2020 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 609188)
Dammed few. Read and understand what you are getting before sending any cash. Most are not worth the paper they are written on.

Agreed.
Original poster, check my comment on your other thread.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

nicecar 01-01-2020 03:34 PM

dont prepay for potential failure

Jeovanni223 01-01-2020 03:35 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone.

rfuerst911sc 01-02-2020 01:41 AM

Generally speaking I am not a fan of extended warranties , however I do have a positive story . My oldest son purchased a used Toyota Sienna van a few years ago I think it is a 2015 . It had about 35,000 miles on it , was very clean but not a CPO vehicle . As part of haggling over price my son and daughter in law worked out an extended warranty as part of the deal .

Fast forward to last year the van was at 99,000 and some change when the auto trans started acting funny . Was very random and hard to duplicate , they took the van to the dealer several times and each time was told nothing wrong . The issue was at various times it would just rev up but not move , quite dangerous at stop lights with the grand children in the van . My DIL is the primary driver so she decided to just go out to various stop signs and stop lights with cellphone in hand ready to shoot video of the issue .

It took a while but she got three clean/crisp videos of the issue and forwarded them to the dealership . After reviewing the videos with someone at Toyota it was agreed that a brand new transmission will be installed . The warranty expired at 100,000 miles ....... when they rolled into the dealership to have the trans replaced it had 99,998 miles on it !!! They paid nothing towards the repair and were provided a loaner vehicle no charge . So in this particular case the extended warranty was a good value . The dealership said the trans repair was 6K .

JFP in PA 01-02-2020 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc (Post 609233)
Generally speaking I am not a fan of extended warranties , however I do have a positive story . My oldest son purchased a used Toyota Sienna van a few years ago I think it is a 2015 . It had about 35,000 miles on it , was very clean but not a CPO vehicle . As part of haggling over price my son and daughter in law worked out an extended warranty as part of the deal .

Fast forward to last year the van was at 99,000 and some change when the auto trans started acting funny . Was very random and hard to duplicate , they took the van to the dealer several times and each time was told nothing wrong . The issue was at various times it would just rev up but not move , quite dangerous at stop lights with the grand children in the van . My DIL is the primary driver so she decided to just go out to various stop signs and stop lights with cellphone in hand ready to shoot video of the issue .

It took a while but she got three clean/crisp videos of the issue and forwarded them to the dealership . After reviewing the videos with someone at Toyota it was agreed that a brand new transmission will be installed . The warranty expired at 100,000 miles ....... when they rolled into the dealership to have the trans replaced it had 99,998 miles on it !!! They paid nothing towards the repair and were provided a loaner vehicle no charge . So in this particular case the extended warranty was a good value . The dealership said the trans repair was 6K .

That "extended" warranty sounds like it was from the dealer that sold the car, which is more like a CPO and a lot different than "third party" warranties bought directly.

maytag 01-02-2020 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 609237)
That "extended" warranty sounds like it was from the dealer that sold the car, which is more like a CPO and a lot different than "third party" warranties bought directly.

In my area, most dealers are selling commercial 3rd party warranties on non-cpo cars. I'd agree that what they got sounds unique.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Frodo 01-02-2020 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc (Post 609233)
The issue was at various times it would just rev up but not move , quite dangerous at stop lights with the grand children in the van .

That IS scary isn't it?? Way back when we were getting a family going we bought (and I drove) a 1991 Ford Taurus—the only automatic transmission vehicle I've ever owned, dating back to the mid-70s. It was one of the first gen Tauruses that not uncommonly developed transmission issues, and mine did exactly that. Like your son's Sienna, it wasn't constant, just from time to time. But I remember when I decided something HAD to be done: I was sitting at an intersection, one of those iffy ones where a two-lane country road meets up with a divided highway (no light, just a stop sign), and I wanted to cross over the first 2 lanes and turn left onto the other two lanes. The car started into oncoming traffic (I should have had plenty of time to get safely across) then revved and sputtered as the transmission failed me. There was a semi coming, and I hit the brakes knowing he could still maneuver around me, but for a second I thought I could nurse it along and get across. I'm glad I didn't try! :eek:

Finnegan 01-02-2020 02:52 PM

I bought Route 66 coverage for a Subaru sti some years ago, and it paid off in spades when the motor imploded. They paid for a new engine, I added some better components, and everybody (except Route 66) was happy. Not long after that, they changed their max payout to make sure this never happened again.

safesaxbdd 01-02-2020 03:21 PM

Extended Warranty - Liberty Bell

I bought one on a '04 Boxster S w/ 61K miles from a co. called Liberty Bell out of NJ. They generally won't pay for diagnosis of the problem, so those labor hours are out of your pocket. But if the motor needs to be replaced, they should generally cover it since it's major mechanical failure.

When they wouldn't cover new bushings on the rear track arms I called them and demanded to cancel for a full refund. They agreed.

I'd be interested if any other cos. out there are better.

mikefocke 01-03-2020 02:23 PM

Those companies are in business to make money.

Why would you think they would be offering a deal where the odds are in your favor?

BYprodriver 01-03-2020 03:10 PM

If you are spending money on your car spend it on preventative maintenance not a piece of paper.

thstone 01-03-2020 08:31 PM

I've owned cars with both CPO and extended warranties. They definitely never paid out more than the cost, so I went to just paying for repairs myself.

Qingdao 01-03-2020 08:57 PM

I am plagued by these companies calling me on the phone. They are super obnoxious.

I mean do some research warranty companies. The newest car I own is a 99 Boxster with no functional engine in it... Does your extended warranty cover that?!?

OP I think you'd spend more time fighting with the warranty company on the phone than any monetary support you would get from them.