986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Leaf Blower Drying Method (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/7691-leaf-blower-drying-method.html)

bmussatti 10-09-2006 12:56 PM

Leaf Blower Drying Method

OK, last week I did the leaf blower thingy to help dry my car. I had to first overcome the concern I had, regarding my neighbors thinking that I am totally crazy! I finally realized that my neighbors think I am already crazy, and decided to just let er rip!!

The results were great! :)

1) Mine is electric
2) Make sure your driveway is clear (swept) before you start, so you are not blowing a bunch of stuff onto your newly cleaned car
3) Cut my drying time by more than 75%
4) Best part is the dirty water removal from the cross-drilled rotors. I was always getting this dirty/rusty water dump on my clean wheel barrels, right after washing and driving into the garage. This process of blowing out the rotors and calipers removes about 95% of this dirty/rusty water dump.

Try it...you'll like it :D

rdancd816 10-09-2006 01:01 PM

Very inventive!! GO BEARS!!!

blinkwatt 10-09-2006 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti

This is very interesting! Perhaps I will buy this...
http://www.amazon.com/TORO-CO-BLWR-TRMMR-51586/dp/B0000CBJBB
Is that like what you have?

bmussatti 10-09-2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
This is very interesting! Perhaps I will buy this...
http://www.amazon.com/TORO-CO-BLWR-TRMMR-51586/dp/B0000CBJBB
Is that like what you have?

I have a Toro similar to this one:

http://www.toro.com/home/yardtools/blowervacs/51591.html

z12358 10-09-2006 01:27 PM

bmussatti, your link showed some non-related junk. What's the name of the Toro blower? Did you research others or happened to just have this one at home? A blower may be a very handy thing for drying my black Box. Plus, minimizes touching (hence, potential swirls).

Z.

bmussatti 10-09-2006 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z12358
bmussatti, your link showed some non-related junk. What's the name of the Toro blower? Did you research others or happened to just have this one at home? A blower may be a very handy thing for drying my black Box. Plus, minimizes touching (hence, potential swirls).

Z.

Z, the link is working now. I used a link from the Toro web site to illustrate the one I am using. Mine is about 13 years old. So, I think any-old-one will work fine.

CJ_Boxster 10-09-2006 02:40 PM

LOL you wacko, i would have gwaked at you then asked you to loan it to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
OK, last week I did the leaf blower thingy to help dry my car. I had to first overcome the concern I had, regarding my neighbors thinking that I am totally crazy! I finally realized that my neighbors think I am already crazy, and decided to just let er rip!!

The results were great! :)

1) Mine is electric
2) Make sure your driveway is clear (swept) before you start, so you are not blowing a bunch of stuff onto your newly cleaned car
3) Cut my drying time by more than 75%
4) Best part is the dirty water removal from the cross-drilled rotors. I was always getting this dirty/rusty water dump on my clean wheel barrels, right after washing and driving into the garage. This process of blowing out the rotors and calipers removes about 95% of this dirty/rusty water dump.

David_J 10-09-2006 02:47 PM

When we only had the gas blower, I never used it for my car. Now that we bought a light weight electric blower for my wife to use, I have used it a few times on the cars. I will say that drying a full size SUV with it can take some time, but the results are worth it.

My neighbors already know I'm a car nut, so I just went for it. Definately helps get water our of those hard to reach areas.

-David

KRZTACO 10-09-2006 03:31 PM

Hey Perfect Lap

You need to add an electric Leaf blower to your links on your sig :cheers:

KRZ

CJ_Boxster 10-09-2006 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRZTACO
You need to add an electric Leaf blower to your links on your sig :cheers:

KRZ

Yeah and a 20ft. extention cord as a mod for it.

ukchris 10-10-2006 04:56 AM

Coincidentally I did the same thing for the first time this weekend, I was very impressed with the results, makes drying the car much easier. I could do with a smaller blower but it wasn't too bad, just have to be careful swinging it around. I'd highly recommend this as a part of the car washing procedure.

Chris.

RandallNeighbour 10-10-2006 05:21 AM

We need a professional comment on this technique from Perfectlap!

Grizzly 10-10-2006 08:03 AM

I've been using the leaf blower method for years, with excellent results. Hit it with the blower, blot it dry with a microfiber waffle towel, hit the door jambs, etc. and you're good to go. The best part is that water doesn't come out from every crevice on your first drive, ruining all your hard work.

MNBoxster 10-10-2006 08:12 AM

Hi,

FYI, you can accomplish the same thing by using a Shop Vac and reversing the hose so that it blows. It may take slightly longer though. Of course, you want to clean it and it's filter thoroughly so you're not bombarding the car with all sorts of dust and grit...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

BobMarley1 10-10-2006 08:24 AM

another use

for the leaf blower, direct the air flow to your radiator vents, it blows all sorts of stuff out of there.

Perfectlap 10-10-2006 08:25 AM

anything where you don't touch the paint but get the desired effect is a perfect situation. Although if you wash with a hose simply removing the nozzle and flooding the surface will trickle away 98% of the water, blot dry the rest with a waffle weave and you have done the task in less time.
Probably doing both flooding/leaf blower would be ideal but who is going to get out a power tool to clear away a few drops of water per panel?
p.s.
removing the nozzle also cuts down on marring too, I only use it on the canvas(a must) and the wheel wells.

z12358 10-10-2006 08:39 AM

PL, what's Mobiblu MP3 from your sig?

Perfectlap 10-10-2006 09:01 AM

that's just my ipod replacement I use in the Boxster. I wish the car had two aux ports so I wouldn't need to unplug the Sirius to play MP3. the Mobiblu is a Korean made MP3 player with a few more neat features. I can connect the mp3 player directly to my satellite radio and line-in record hours of FREE MUSIC. and it plays for 153 hours before needing to be recharged. FM radio built in. $100 for 1 gig first saw it on Cnet. Yes there are alternatives to the made in communist China ipod!

z12358 10-10-2006 09:11 AM

"I wish the car had two aux ports..."

I don't even have one. Nor can I play MP3 CD's. (I have the Bose). Hard to believe for a new car in this day and age... Lack of MP3 may be part of the reason, but I rarely feel like listening to music while driving it.

Z.

bnorman 10-10-2006 09:31 AM

Leaf Blower

I got my wife one for her last bithday, top of the line electric. Some how I don't think it was appreciated. When I asked to borrow it tho dry the boxster, she told me where I could put it and to turn it on full blast.

Ouch!