986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Aftermarket headlights (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/76897-aftermarket-headlights.html)

ksjohn 12-26-2019 08:22 AM

Aftermarket headlights

Does anyone have experience with some of the aftermarket headlights for a 986/996? I have never been much of a fan of the 986 headlight configuration.

But yesterday I saw a pic of a 996 with some aftermarket headlights that looked pretty cool. They were all one piece, clear, looked like HID headlights with a row of LEDs for the turn signals. Don't remember what it did for the fog lights.

Google search came up with a number of options, all were basically $900 to $1000.

Wondering if anyone has installed them, have pics, how you like them, etc.?

Thanks

piper6909 12-26-2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksjohn (Post 608805)
Does anyone have experience with some of the aftermarket headlights for a 986/996? I have never been much of a fan of the 986 headlight configuration.

But yesterday I saw a pic of a 996 with some aftermarket headlights that looked pretty cool. They were all one piece, clear, looked like HID headlights with a row of LEDs for the turn signals. Don't remember what it did for the fog lights.

Google search came up with a number of options, all were basically $900 to $1000.

Thanks

Mine came with the car when I bought it. So far so good, and I think they look sharp.

It also came with the originals, in case I want to go back.http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1577381365.jpg

particlewave 12-26-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksjohn (Post 608805)

Thanks

I have all of the experience and can tell you that they are not worth the money, are cheaply made and a fire/road projectile hazard.

Not to mention that they look like cheap Asian garbage you’d buy at the dollar store (no offense, piper).

piper6909 12-26-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 608811)
I have all of the experience and can tell you that they are not worth the money, are cheaply made and a fire/road projectile hazard.

Not to mention that they look like cheap Asian garbage you’d buy at the dollar store (no offense, piper).

No worries. We're all entitled to our own opinions, just not our own 'alternative facts'.

No skin off my back if you don't like them.

I know what you mean by "road projectiles", though. I remember now that mine tended to slide loose, and I could imagine they could keep going if I came to a very quick stop. But I found a permanent solution, so that'll never happen with my car. They haven't moved since and they sat tight even after 3 days on the track.

Fire hazard? I don't know about that. No such issues or remotely close in nearly a year of ownership.

Geof3 12-26-2019 10:23 PM

Yeah, with Particlewave on this one. Had Depo tail lights (basically the same overall build quality as the headlights) and they were just junk. Not even close to factory.

particlewave 12-27-2019 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 608812)
We're all entitled to our own opinions, just not our own 'alternative facts’

Fire hazard? I don't know about that. No such issues or remotely close in nearly a year of ownership.

You’re a hoot. :rolleyes:

Placing a halogen bulb (running between 400f-1000f) less than 1” from an ABS plastic reflector with a melting point of 400f constitutes a fire hazard, whether you’ve had a fire yet or not. ;)

I’m done.

piper6909 12-27-2019 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 608846)
You’re a hoot. :rolleyes:

Placing a halogen bulb (running between 400f-1000f) less than 1” from an ABS plastic reflector with a melting point of 400f constitutes a fire hazard, whether you’ve had a fire yet or not. ;)

I’m done.

Like I said, after nearly a year of ownership, I've seen no signs. No melting or warping, nothing. Could it happen? I guess so, but so far not in my case. Care to come inspect yourself if you don't believe me? :rolleyes:

RedTele58 12-27-2019 04:06 AM

One thing I've learned after 7 years on this board, is that if Particlewave has a statement about electrical components/electronic issues, he's spot-on.
His delivery may be kind of to the point sometimes :matchup:, but his advice and opinions haven't steered me wrong yet. :cheers:

Starter986 12-27-2019 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTele58 (Post 608850)
One thing I've learned after 7 years on this board, is that if Particlewave has a statement about electrical components/electronic issues, he's spot-on.
His delivery may be kind of to the point sometimes :matchup:, but his advice and opinions haven't steered me wrong yet. :cheers:

True that.

maytag 12-27-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTele58 (Post 608850)

Agreed. There are a couple of peeps on the board who are smart enough to only assert an opinion as fact if they can back it up (I'm not one of them, by the way, Hahaha) and PW is at the top of that list.
When it comes to electronics, he's my unassailable authority. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

JBauer 12-27-2019 09:20 AM

Check out this guy on FB or Instagram. He makes some really nice setups or will rebuild your originals. In US and warranted.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1577470806.jpg

itsnotanova 12-27-2019 11:55 AM

Not trying to turn this in to a Pro-Particlewave thread, but I don't think there's anyone on the planet that has more experiences with 986 headlights than him. That being said, there's a few things that can be done with the factory headlights to change them up a bit. I went with clear lenses and painted a black trim around the edge like in the picture JBauer posted. I'm not a fan of the terminator looking projectors that most of you all are. I prefer the halogen inside round/ovalish factory lens. To each his own