Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #1

Garage
Removal of driver's side transmission mount

I've got the tiptronic transmission mounts unbolted on all four bolts and nuts that hold the hydraulic mount section to the chassis. However, only the passenger side bracket has been unbolted from the transmission. The driver's side is much harder to access the bolts that hold the bracket into the transmission. I need to lower the transmission, any ideas on getting this done?

I could probably pull the whole passenger side mount and bracket out, then put a jack in between the tranny and body of the car and jack the transmission towards the passenger side. Otherwise I'd have to find a way to bend my arm in 6 places and get the remaining three bolts off of the transmission on the driver's side.

Muffler removal is out of the question at this point. Not without some other serious work. The exhaust system is garbage on this car, and after attempted removal, most of the bolts just break anyway. Should I try removing the Neutral safety switch and get my hand in there? Or should I try something else? The gear selector cable is also in the way of this, and the fixture doesn't slide out when the two little metal clips are pinched. I need some ideas here.

Any help help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

cornontherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:49 AM   #2

You need to remove most of the exhaust system, so it the bolts break, be prepared to replace them.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:59 AM   #3

Garage
Update:

The transmission mounts and brackets have been removed. It was nearly impossible to drill out the broken bolts in the exhaust system, so I'm just leaving them alone. I somehow got to get my arm to bend in the impossible manner necessary for the removal of the brackets from the transmission. My only question now is how exactly the automatic gear selector cable comes out of its little bracket.

Pictured is the bracket itself. It has two metal clips that can be squeezed together for what looks like a release. However, either oxidization has occurred, or that''s not how to remove the cable from the bracket. I used a little bit of penetrating oil and force but to no avail. Is there something i'm missing, or should I just go ahead and yank the thing right out?
cornontherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #4

I did it with removing the mount. Happy to share just don’t want to come across wrong.

20986 is offline   Reply With Quote