Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2019, 02:37 AM   #1
2001 Frunk Now Opens

Well, I thought the new actuator for the frunk would have solved the intermittent issue based on the diagnostics and experience from several Porsche owners. I was wrong.

I had one of those silly revelations that is in the end probably unrelated to the issue and it involved a 944 I picked up dirt cheap several years ago. It would just cut out and run poorly from time to time. One cold snowy night it stalled out. Yeah, my fault for even talking it out, but I digress.

Anyway, I was so upset and acting childish and rammed my knee into the steering column. Car started. Every time it stalled I would bang my knee and it would magically run. I dug around and discovered people were having trouble with the computers, which happens to reside in the steering column. Seems as though some suffered from poor soldering of the pins to the PCB which would crack causing corrosion and poor electrical connections. Found a refurbished computer on eBay for $80 and never had another issue.

Back to the Boxster. I said what the heck and pulled the switch and removed the back to expose the circuitry and low and behold I found one of the solder points was cracked and the solder partially missing. I’m a poor at soldering but I managed to re-solder it in a semi-presentable fashion and buttoned everything back up.

To make a long story short, everything works as it should and has for a while. No more intermittent issues. Guess I will just hold on to that new actuator in case the old one does break.

Just goes to show that anything can and Does happen.

Tommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:24 AM   #2

Garage
Good work! As so often happens, there's often a simple explanation for the gremlins that affect us. The challenge is in finding them - nice job in doing that here.
1971 BMW R75/5
Subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Well done sir. I love these kind of stories.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote