986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Anyone Deactivate Passenger Airbag, Cost at Dealer? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/76826-anyone-deactivate-passenger-airbag-cost-dealer.html)

bigfy39 12-13-2019 04:55 PM

Anyone Deactivate Passenger Airbag, Cost at Dealer?

Hello all,

I am looking to get the passenger airbag deactivated so my son can ride in the car. Can someone tell me what specifically needs to be done and if I need to buy a Porsche car seat vs using another brand?

Also, for anyone that had it done at the dealer, can you tell me how much you paid?

Thanks,
Jeff

KevinH1990 12-13-2019 06:32 PM

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53633-airbag-child-deactivate.html

mr.borrie 12-16-2019 03:11 AM

you will need to have the software altered for the airbag to be turned on /off also get the hardware for physical deactivation. There is a OEM bar with buckle and a guy on ebay who can replicate hardware to act the same.

Why the heck they went through all this at Porsche is beyond me

airbagguy986 12-16-2019 11:52 AM

Alternative to Porsche Passenger Airbag Deactivation Bar

Hi

I have a Genuine Porsche Deactivation Bar for sale £120 plus shipping

You'd need to source a buckle clip by googling "Seat Belt Clip for Airbag Deactivation Device Porsche VW Audi Seat Skoda"

and I also make a device which mimmicks its output signals
Id have to order parts and build that to order so takes a couple of weeks but its half the price.

lots of garages can do the setting on the cpu .... I got mine done by an AA guy for £25 but I dont think its a regular service they provide

airbagguy986 12-16-2019 11:54 AM

Alternative to Porsche Passenger Airbag Deactivation Bar

this is for a 986 Boxster right ... the one that needs a bar

Fiddlebog 12-16-2019 01:00 PM

my daily has the OEM bar in it, and I have no intention to ever use it. Assuming it wouldn't cause any problems with the way airbags are coded in my system, I would also be able to sell mine.

airbagguy986 12-17-2019 12:50 PM

on some 986's if you remove the airbag bar you have to get the CPU uncoded , this is a safety check by the car to ensure the installed bar is working

Not all 986's had it, on some you could remove the bar without incident

To test ... unplug the bar and start the car, if the airbag light stays on then either you need to keep the bar connected or uncode the CPU
If it goes out then happy days

bigfy39 12-17-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbagguy986 (Post 608359)
on some 986's if you remove the airbag bar you have to get the CPU uncoded , this is a safety check by the car to ensure the installed bar is working

To test ... unplug the bar and start the car, if the airbag light stays on then either you need to keep the bar connected or uncode the CPU

Thanks all for the input.

Airbagguy, sorry, what do you mean by bar? Do you mean the thing that the seat belt goes into?

Thanks,
Jeff

airbagguy986 12-17-2019 11:06 PM

So on the 986 Boxster (and same age 911)
The passenger airbag was deactivated for child seat installation by use of a bar which had to be inserted under the seat runners at the front of the passenger seat

So in order to carry a child in the car Porsche would sell you the deactivation bar plus a special seat which had a special and pointless clip at the front of it to go into the bar and then you had to go to the dealer to get the CPU on the car set to seek out the child seat equipments presence.

I have one of the bars for sale.
And the clips (buckles) are available on the internet.
Enabling the car driver to use any child seat in their car

It is alsoPossible to have made a device which mimics the bar and seat installation but uses a switch instead of buckles and clips to operate a switch

But you still need to get the CPU on the car set to seek out the child seat equipments presence.

I hope this explains

airbagguy986 12-17-2019 11:25 PM

2004 onwards (987 Boxsters) you need a normal dash switch from main dealer

Fiddlebog 12-18-2019 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbagguy986 (Post 608359)

unfortunately, the last time I took my door apart I made the mistake of turning the car on with the door airbag disconnected; so I've already got that red light on all the time. Been planning on resetting it with a durometric once one is in the budget.

airbagguy986 12-18-2019 01:22 PM

Fiddlebog ... this is worth a try
Disconnect the battery and leave it that way for at least 10 mins (longer if poss).
Make sure you leave a window open or similar so you cant get locked out.
Some people like to connect the + and - battery terminals together, (with the battery disconnected of course) anyway the idea is to discharge the cars systems

When you reconnect the battery there will be a bit of a splat so be ready for that and the alarm will probably go off so be ready with the key to stop it.

Reconnecting the battery will reboot your car and clears a lot of glitches in your cars systems and MIGHT clear the air bag light ... it's a great way to get rid of a whole host of errors like engine lights etc ....

Can't hurt .... no different to a normal flat battery, just like rebooting your pc or phone

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddlebog (Post 608411)
unfortunately, the last time I took my door apart I made the mistake of turning the car on with the door airbag disconnected; so I've already got that red light on all the time. Been planning on resetting it with a durometric once one is in the budget.

JFP in PA 12-19-2019 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbagguy986 (Post 608448)
Fiddlebog ... this is worth a try
Disconnect the battery and leave it that way for at least 10 mins (longer if poss).
Make sure you leave a window open or similar so you cant get locked out.
Some people like to connect the + and - battery terminals together, (with the battery disconnected of course) anyway the idea is to discharge the cars systems

When you reconnect the battery there will be a bit of a splat so be ready for that and the alarm will probably go off so be ready with the key to stop it.

Reconnecting the battery will reboot your car and clears a lot of glitches in your cars systems and MIGHT clear the air bag light ... it's a great way to get rid of a whole host of errors like engine lights etc ....

Can't hurt .... no different to a normal flat battery, just like rebooting your pc or phone

Won't work. Air bag codes on this cars are "latching", meaning you must clear the codes with the appropriate scan tool to clear it. It is also one of the few codes that will not clear automatically after you repair the fault.

airbagguy986 12-19-2019 11:15 PM

That's good Intel JFP and you clearly know these systems so perhaps you can explain some anomalies I have encountered.

On MY year 2000 2.7 (maybe 2.5) I accidentally turned on the ignition with the seat out (side airbag) and the airbag light came on .... but fortunately for me didn't "latch".... so all ok when seat re inserted.

Similarly on MY car I could disconnect the child seat bar without any airbag light coming on, but on other cars I know the system throws an error if it cant find the bar ..... and on some cars this light "latches" whilst on others it doesn't.
Do you know the reason for the differences ?
Model changes?
Software versions / upgrades ?
how to tell which car will do what?

Be good to know why

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 608465)
Won't work. Air bag codes on this cars are "latching", meaning you must clear the codes with the appropriate scan tool to clear it. It is also one of the few codes that will not clear automatically after you repair the fault.

bigfy39 12-20-2019 04:24 AM

Does clearing the light on the dash actually deactivate the airbag or is it just so you don't have to look at the light anymore?

airbagguy986 12-24-2019 03:54 AM

If the light is on there's an error in the airbag system which means the airbags may not work (possibly none of them)

In the uk the car would fail its annual government check

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfy39 (Post 608514)
Does clearing the light on the dash actually deactivate the airbag or is it just so you don't have to look at the light anymore?

bigfy39 12-24-2019 07:49 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

Also, I sent you a pm if you get a chance to take a look.

Jeff

airbagguy986 01-02-2020 10:42 PM

Sorry it took me so long to reply to your PM

Done now

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfy39 (Post 608728)
Thanks for the clarification.

Also, I sent you a pm if you get a chance to take a look.

Jeff

TexSquirrel 01-05-2020 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddlebog (Post 608411)

Where in Texas are you?
I’m in the Houston area and have a Durometric.
I will clear it for you.

Uber-Moto 07-31-2020 09:29 AM

Airbagguy986.... I'm new to this form, trying to PM you but can't for some reason?!

I would like to buy one of your pass. bag light switches

Perhaps you can email me you contact info?

Mj.lobodzinski@gmail.com