Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #1

Maf is bad again

I put my new MAF in last week and its already bad. I find it real hard to believe the Super charger caused the MAF to go bad in a week. Im having cold start issues again so today for fun I unplug the MAF and the car starts right up, pulls proper vacuum and idles perfect. Plug it back in and the car will hardly run. It would be easy to blame the SC unit but when the car is cold its obviously not producing boost and for the most part spends most of the time in a state of vacuum. Im going to call the parts supplier on Tuesday and see what they have to say. Its probably going to go something like this "Sorry there is no return on electrical parts." Im still going to give it a try. Spent alot of money on parts at this place, we will see.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
boggtown

Try clean it a little first, maybe you accidently dirtied it when you put it in, not implying anything though
Old 10-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
Try clean it a little first, maybe you accidently dirtied it when you put it in, not implying anything though
Im afraid to do that just in case the parts place decides they will take it back. I dont want them to say I damaged it.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #4

Do you have a stock intake? I ask because if you have an oil-based aftermarket air filter like a K&N, the increased air being pulled in by the SC kit may be pulling oil droplets into the MAF and fouling it out.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #5

I avoid the K&N type filters and actually put a new factory air filter in when I did the MAF.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:07 PM   #6

Well, if the MAF still under warranty you can still go to the place where you bought it
redman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman12
Well, if the MAF still under warranty you can still go to the place where you bought it
They're return policy states that they do not accept returns on Mass air flow sensors or anything electrical.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #8
boggtown

Then go ahead and clean it. A MAF cleaner may only be 10 bucks, I have heard other stuff works too.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #9

I was worried for nothing, they gave me a return authorization number. No big deal just have to send it back.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
i would put a K&N anyway, just remove the oils prior to installing, I did that and have yet to have an issue with it. MAS is good and sound and pick up is great....No different than using those $300+ cone filter intakes since they dont use oil either. Probably the vacum pressure in the intake and the restrictive flow of the stock filter is causing this.

If the intake tube is plastic, it could be flexing during full boost on the vacum end of the intake tube.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
i would put a K&N anyway, just remove the oils prior to installing, I did that and have yet to have an issue with it. MAS is good and sound and pick up is great....No different than using those $300+ cone filter intakes since they dont use oil either. Probably the vacum pressure in the intake and the restrictive flow of the stock filter is causing this.

If the intake tube is plastic, it could be flexing during full boost on the vacum end of the intake tube.

Hi,

If you're using a K&N or other oiled filter media Filter w/o the Oil, you might as well not use any filter at all. That is because they have much biiger holes in them than the OEM paper filter and require the Oil to trap dirt particles.

All the evidence I have seen (ISO 5011 testing) shows that K&N cannot substantiate any of the claims they make. Their dyno charts may show 1-3HP increase, but for a new filter. 3k mi. later, according to ISO 5011 results, that same dyno would yield a chart showing performance to be inferior to the OEM paper filter. They a car go faster about as much as an STP sticker in the window...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #12

Sorry you had to say all that, cause i dont care. I dont have the KN for performance purposes, Purely for the intake noise and the little bit more ease i get from a stop to go.

Saying that i might as well not use a filter is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If i didnt have a K&N or any filter at all, Very large particles of dust and other debris would be allowed to get into the intake and heads. It really bugs me when i hear stuff like that. The proof that my filter catches small, fine dust is in the filter, When I clean it out, I see a variety of dust from very fine to large. While i know that its possible for some very very fine dust to get past the filter...Im confident that it would only be the very fine stuff that wouldnt have any effect on my engine.

If you want to refeut that, then introduce me to someone that used a K&N and a large debris got past the filter and caused major internal damage to the heads...If you cant, then i dont care what you have to say one the subject of Air Filters and risk of debris getting past them.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 10-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Sorry you had to say all that, cause i dont care. I dont have the KN for performance purposes, Purely for the intake noise and the little bit more ease i get from a stop to go.

Saying that i might as well not use a filter is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If i didnt have a K&N or any filter at all, Very large particles of dust and other debris would be allowed to get into the intake and heads. It really bugs me when i hear stuff like that. The proof that my filter catches small, fine dust is in the filter, When I clean it out, I see a variety of dust from very fine to large. While i know that its possible for some very very fine dust to get past the filter...Im confident that it would only be the very fine stuff that wouldnt have any effect on my engine.

If you want to refeut that, then introduce me to someone that used a K&N and a large debris got past the filter and caused major internal damage to the heads...If you cant, then i dont care what you have to say one the subject of Air Filters and risk of debris getting past them.
Just when the threads were getting boring.... Hey Rail I'll get the popcorn if you save the seats for me and Griz....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
My K & N didn't let large enough debri through to mess up the internals of the engine BUT it did let enough oil and debri through to ruin my MAF.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:24 PM   #15
Ex Esso kid

Quote:

I'm glad you typed this, I'm tired of this worn out statement, I have run one in my vehicles for years without incident.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
My K & N didn't let large enough debri through to mess up the internals of the engine BUT it did let enough oil and debri through to ruin my MAF.

Hense, I dont use the oil...I washed it out prior to installing it. I did have my MAF mess up on me once but it was before the K&N, it had 93k miles on it so i say it was due to malfunction. The new K&N without oil and New MAF seem to work beautifully together.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 10-09-2006, 03:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Just when the threads were getting boring.... Hey Rail I'll get the popcorn if you save the seats for me and Griz....
I'm crashin' this party too! But first... mic please.

BROTHERS! This message board can't afford another K&N Air Filter debate! We've lost too many members over this as it is! Don't you guys remember Ghostrider 310? He was one of us... no different than me or you... a happy Boxster driver, always contributing to the conversation... But he left due to K&N related violence. Then there was Srcappy81, BxstrLvr, and GRM-BXTR -he went so overboard that he ended up selling is car and buying an MR2! All these good people were victims of the Great 986 K&N Debate (code name G986KAN vs MNB)! Look, the K&N crimes have got to stop now. Let us rise up to the occasion! Let's put an end to global K&N confusion... Sure K&Ns have been known to let a few bricks pass through their pores. And we all already know that the HP gains from a filter are so massive that they have to be measured with a seismograph... but let us remember the golden rule... no politics (Long live W!), no religion (I love Jeebus!), and no air filters (never even seen mine)!

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4799
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #18

3 things not to talk about in polite company:
1) Religion
2) Politics
3) K&N Air filters
binaryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:12 PM   #19

Famous Quotes "I shall never use profanity, except when discusing Taxes & K&N Air Filters" ---Mark Twain

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 10-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #20

Wow, I go help my friend for a few hours and my thread goes the hell.