986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Day Three of owning a 2000 S, first CEL - P1119 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/76719-day-three-owning-2000-s-first-cel-p1119.html)

TRP 11-26-2019 08:35 AM

Day Three of owning a 2000 S, first CEL - P1119

Hello,

I purchased a low mileage 2000 S on Friday of last week. I put 400 miles on it already and have been pretty happy up to now. Last night when leaving the office the Check Engine Light (CEL) came on. I drove to AutoZone and had them pull the code.

Looks like the car is throwing P1119. I've searched the forum and found several suggestions stating that replacing the O2 Sensor (or the pair as has been suggested) may not be a true fix. There wasn't any one thread which summarized common causes.

I will swap the sensors left to right to try and rule out the sensor itself. Any other suggestions from you long time owners?

Thank you!
Ted

blue62 11-26-2019 01:53 PM

That code is telling you that there is a fault with the pre cat O2 sensor's internal heater or the wiring circuit (for the o2 sensors heater) from the DME to the sensor. On bank 2
You can test the wiring to the sensor with a volt meter.
Look at the wiring at the sensor side of the wiring connector. If it is a 4 wire sensor (I think it is but not positve) 2 of those wires should be the same color. those are the heater circuit wires.
One is the ground
The other is the positive
If your wiring is ok then the sensor is kaput.
Could be a fault with the DME but that is not very likely;)

TRP 11-26-2019 02:59 PM

Hey Blue,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess my question was more wondering how likely is it that these things fail after 39k miles and/or could there something else causing this to read an under temp condition? I get that it's really hard to diagnose/help over a keyboard.

If I'm crawling under there to start poking at wires, I may as well just change the damn sensor 'eh? Buy Bosch? Any reason to go the expensive route (Porsche branded)?

Thank you, again!

dghii 11-26-2019 05:20 PM

As a prior owner of a 2000S, don't forget that your car is 19 years old, regardless of mileage. Don't fret this too hard....
First off, my car threw this code off and on, months, sometimes years apart before I finally replaced the sensor. Clear the code, drive the car. If the code keeps reappearing, replace the sensor. You are new to the car, so take some time to get to know it!

One other thing, don't feel like you HAVE to replace more than one at a time. The job is easy and the car will tell you when its time to replace each sensor.

Racer Boy 11-26-2019 05:53 PM

Welcome to the world of Porsche ownership, TRP! I recommend getting an OBD reader so you can read the codes, and then clear them. The code that you got is one of the more common ones, I'm guessing. I have gotten that code before, and would just clear the code with the OBD reader (which I got for less than $30 IIRC). Eventually I just replaced both O2 sensors.

Get the Bosch part, it's the same sensor, but you'll have to use a wiring adaptor which is very easy to do. It's worth saving the $$ over the Porsche part.

blue62 11-26-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRP (Post 607385)
Hey Blue,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess my question was more wondering how likely is it that these things fail after 39k miles and/or could there something else causing this to read an under temp condition? I get that it's really hard to diagnose/help over a keyboard.

If I'm crawling under there to start poking at wires, I may as well just change the damn sensor 'eh? Buy Bosch? Any reason to go the expensive route (Porsche branded)?

Thank you, again!

I always go with the simplest things first and work step by step to the most complex.
It could be a simple wiring issue.
There are only two wires involved in the heater circuit on a four wire o2 sensor they are most always the same color.
They can be tested with a digital volt meter.
One will be ground.
One will have voltage with key on.
You should be able to back probe at the connector nearest the sensor.
Simple 5 minutes work. Ok 10 minutes you will want to raise the car.
If there is a wiring issue and you replace the sensor without fixing the wiring issue you with throw the code again.
Replacing the sensor without testing the wiring is possibly money spent needlessly.

Starter986 11-27-2019 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue62 (Post 607401)
I always go with the simplest things first and work step by step to the most complex.
It could be a simple wiring issue.
There are only two wires involved in the heater circuit on a four wire o2 sensor they are most always the same color.
They can be tested with a digital volt meter.
One will be ground.
One will have voltage with key on.
You should be able to back probe at the connector nearest the sensor.
Simple 5 minutes work. Ok 10 minutes you will want to raise the car.
If there is a wiring issue and you replace the sensor without fixing the wiring issue you with throw the code again.
Replacing the sensor without testing the wiring is possibly money spent needlessly.

+1
. There's your fackin 10 characters.